Can someone explain twitter to me...

Talk about anything here.

Re: Can someone explain twitter to me...

Postby WebHead » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Iranian internets aren't exactly secure. They're like screen doors on bank vaults. Shutting down the mobile network would take a decent amount of time to do so and given satellite phones, it would be hard to shut down all of it. Not to mention getting a signal from a surrounding country.

The government of Iran doesn't need to shut down the network, it's being slammed so hard with traffic now, that it's just slow under it's own weight.

Also, the CIA and other spy agencies are on the ground there, so they're helping out.
thelaird wrote:I read that Iran shutdown their internet and mobile networks. So how the fuck are they using Twitter?
WebHead

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 pm

So I open my email this morning to discover that Mark and Adam are now following my Twitter account. This comes as something of a surprise, as I had completely forgotten that I even had a Twitter account. I don't know how or why you guys found me, but I can assure you that you will be disappointed.
Alex

Postby thelaird » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 pm

I have a Twitter account somewhere. I added a few people to my follow list or whatever. Will Leitch, BP's injury guy, and the dude who writes about the Cardinals for MLB.com. Anyway, within minutes, I'm being followed by 5 or 6 people I didn't know (or know of). I immediately ran away in terror and haven't gone back. Twitter be sketchy.
thelaird

Postby Vandy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Alex wrote:So I open my email this morning to discover that Mark and Adam are now following my Twitter account. This comes as something of a surprise, as I had completely forgotten that I even had a Twitter account. I don't know how or why you guys found me, but I can assure you that you will be disappointed.

when a person signs up twitter can scour through your email address book and add anyone that it detects with a twitter account using a matching email address.

Facebook does the same thing.
Image Image
Vandy

Postby An Adam » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:10 pm

I'm on there now.

I figure that Twitter is for the annoying little things that I don't want to bother my facebook friends with.
2-time Home Run Survivor Champion
Career Record: Eli Manning 29-25/Tony Romo 19-5
Singapore stick? The problem is Singapore is a big pussy country. Get a Jersey Stick, then come hit me.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby Mark O » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 am

As I've gotten progressively sick of Facebook, I find Twitter a lot better for general dickery without the Internet weaseling into one's personal life. Also, you can do shit from text.
Free shit. More free shit.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby nase » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:20 am

Is there a repository for Twitter names here or did I gloss over the links in this thread?

One of The Adam's buddies followed one of my accounts, hails from Pensacola, and tweeted something to "The Adam" so I put two and two together. Found Vandy and MarkO as well. Following as @beersage (my main account).

Any others on there that are active?
nase

Postby nase » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:25 am

Oh and for those who don't get it and are wondering why, it's not the right question to ask. I don't get how it ballooned either but it's a really simple effective way to communicate, especially if you want your message to go viral.

I took a screenshot pic of the some tweets the night Jon Lester got nailed in the leg on a line drive. The top 10 Boston-NY sports beat writers all went right to Twitter when news came that he was going to be fine. All within 2 mins. of each other and they posted it there before they posted on the various media co. sites that employ them.

Twitter is the hub for breaking news but there's a lot of noise there, too. Still a young product that should improve over time...
nase

Postby Mark O » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Well put.

I'm just1idiot on there. I'll let the other guys decide for themselves whether they want their names here.

On that note, I also had the notion of trying to figure out how to get a thread with a feed from fixer twitter accounts. Set up a sportsfix account and follow folks, then post that feed at the top of a thread.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby An Adam » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm TheAdam9... I'm TheAdam9 most places, except for where I'm Last of the Romohicans
2-time Home Run Survivor Champion
Career Record: Eli Manning 29-25/Tony Romo 19-5
Singapore stick? The problem is Singapore is a big pussy country. Get a Jersey Stick, then come hit me.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby Meng » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Following the Iron Sheik on Twitter is hilarious. He really hates Hulk Hogan and the Balloon boy.
Meng

Postby Inspecta » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:58 am

I didn't realize so many of you fags use twitter, and hey, I DO TOO!!

I don't really post shit too much, but use it to follow a few sports bloggers, also I got Josh Cribbs on there. That poor sonofabitch, every monday I get a tweet from him apologizing for another shitty Browns loss.

At any rate if you want to follow mine is swebb51

I'll follow some of you guys as well. Should be good times...
Dan from Norco is on his way to kill me right now...
Inspecta
Chubby Chaser

Postby Mark O » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Evil Gnarls wrote:On that note, I also had the notion of trying to figure out how to get a thread with a feed from fixer twitter accounts. Set up a sportsfix account and follow folks, then post that feed at the top of a thread.

Wing-go mein:

Me:

TA:

Nase:

Specta:

Alex

Unless I'm mistaken, those are the four folks who have put their sn's in this thread, I'll add more if anybody adds theirs.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby Alex » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Evil Gnarls wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, those are the four folks who have put their sn's in this thread, I'll add more if anybody adds theirs.

alexault

Yesh, I'm creative like that.
Alex

Postby Vandy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:20 pm

were am i?
Image Image
Vandy

PreviousNext

Return to General Board