Looking at Sportsfix as a sociological experiment

Talk about anything here.

Looking at Sportsfix as a sociological experiment

Postby Ren » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Is the theory then that if there is no moderatorship, the board will ultimately die?

I'll always post here as long as the board is around, but I think we can agree that this board is dead. If not for the sim forum, I think our posts per day over the course of the month would be in the neighborhood of like 3-5.

I remember the board more or less thriving back when Gary was moderating things. That was back in 2002/2003 or so.

If board members are left to their own devices and there is no policing of any sort, does everyone just sort of kill each other in a Lord of the Flies sense?

I think we could also make the case that maybe the people who posted here beforehand were too soft, or maybe felt a little threatened by us. But we've already made that case about 1,000x over, so yeah.

There's no real point to this post. But I thought of this and wondered if things might be different if we'd had a more PG-13 (R?) rated board.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Re: Looking at Sportsfix as a sociological experiment

Postby jeff » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:46 pm

It depends on what you are asking of from the mods, I suppose. If you mean because of a lack of censorship, I don't think that's the reason it died. The idea never was for Laird to make money here, rather it was just a place to give we people pissed off at Sandbox over a decade ago a place to maintain contact. Because of that, there was never any real recruiting of new members, and, over a decade, most of us (pretty much all but a select few of us were 21 or younger when this started) have simply moved onto different things in life. Message boards are a way of the past too with Facebook and everything else now as a means to keep in contact.
jeff

Postby andrew » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 am

I agree with Jeff. People have gotten older and too busy to post on here, plus I talk to Adam, Laird, Casey, and Rusty and aim still instead of here. I don't think the majority of people who have left the board stopped posting because of the content.
andrew

Postby Ren » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:31 am

I was just asking myself why people wouldn't trust Laird to run the board, and then I remembered how they were absolutely convinced that Laird was intent on wiping out the Ohio crew.

I've still got the PHP files from the horsemen board. I think even Matt was convinced that Laird had plans of annihilating the sportsfix population he disagreed with. :lol:

I definitely agree that an isolated messageboard without any sort of foundation is more or less doomed from the start.

Andrew, I disagree about AIM. I've talked to you guys all the time on there, but I don't find it that comparable to twitter or facebook really, or even messageboards. I'm still posting a ton at footballguys.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby An Adam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm

I think it has sort of migrated to twitter/facebook etc. Whoever said the message board is a dying medium is mostly correct.

It's surely different communication forms now. And mostly we've just gotten older. at home, this page opens when i launch chrome, so i generally log in once a day, see if there's anything new, etc. but it's much easier to just tweet a link instead of coming in here and starting a thread, etc.

The biggest topic in the fix is the fix, the outside stuff we go to the path of less resistance...
2-time Home Run Survivor Champion
Career Record: Eli Manning 29-25/Tony Romo 19-5
Singapore stick? The problem is Singapore is a big pussy country. Get a Jersey Stick, then come hit me.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby The Crystal Meth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:06 pm

maybe you guys are just lame
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Postby Inspecta » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Who cares, my comedy is the greatest thing to happen to this board since skinflutes were en vogue....
Dan from Norco is on his way to kill me right now...
Inspecta
Chubby Chaser

Postby thelaird » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 pm

The Adam wrote:Whoever said the message board is a dying medium is mostly correct.

Anyone else laugh at this? There were only four fucking posts in the thread and TA already lost track.
thelaird

Postby dougiejays » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:22 am

Isn't that just TA being TA?

I think the answer is simple; no new blood, and people bailing tends to move exponentially...for every poster we lose, we lose two more, until it's just the diehards half-assedly checking on a weekly (monthly?) basis.
.363 - Jays blog
dougiejays

Postby Ren » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am

And what do I make of the fact that I have +232 karma?
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Inspecta » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Ren wrote:And what do I make of the fact that I have +232 karma?

Yahoo bot really REALLY likes you....
Dan from Norco is on his way to kill me right now...
Inspecta
Chubby Chaser

Postby An Adam » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:31 pm

thelaird wrote:
The Adam wrote:Whoever said the message board is a dying medium is mostly correct.

Anyone else laugh at this? There were only four fucking posts in the thread and TA already lost track.

So self absorbed, I don't care who wrote it.

I couldn't tell you who made any of the posts after the initial Ren post.
Singapore stick? The problem is Singapore is a big pussy country. Get a Jersey Stick, then come hit me.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby dougiejays » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 am

So I guess you look past the huge avatars?
.363 - Jays blog
dougiejays

Postby An Adam » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:25 pm

don't really pay attention to them. They're the same ones for years, so my mind filters them out.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby dougiejays » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 pm

The Adam wrote:They're the same ones for years

LOL
.363 - Jays blog
dougiejays

Next

Return to General Board