Grand Theft Auto 4

No n00bz allowed.

Postby David » Thu May 01, 2008 12:17 pm

upgrayyed wrote:This is easily one of the greatest games ever.

That said, the text messages are impossible to read. Why couldn't they have just given it a backlight? I have to turn the contrast and brightness nearly all the way down just to see them, and even then I have to get up out my seat to read them. And the dark bland green waypoint GPS mapping just sucks dick. I also hate having to drive for 2 minutes every time I fail/restart a mission. Just a few design flaws that make playing the game much more of a chore than it has to be.

I just figured out that if you go to your cell phone after you die / get arrested in the mdidle of a mission it gives you the option to "replay" the mission which puts you right in front of where the mission starts. Pretty cool.
NSBL Bosox
David

Postby Xero » Thu May 01, 2008 3:09 pm

David wrote:
jeff wrote:Yeah, I just picked this and Mario Kart up today, but I am too beat to play either. Anybody going to be on tomorrow?

If you diddn't know, you have to play a little bit of the single player before you can play MP. Once you get the cell phone you access multiplayer with it.

What do you mean? I didnt play any of the single player and I jumped right into multiplayer. It's all I've been playing since tuesday.

Also: I will be off/on from like 4pm EST til 10pm EST. Send me an invite and I'll join up with you -- unless I'm with some of my peeps already, in which case, I will send you a counter-invite to join up with me.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby thelaird » Thu May 01, 2008 3:22 pm

upgrayyed wrote:This is easily one of the greatest games ever.

That said, the text messages are impossible to read. Why couldn't they have just given it a backlight? I have to turn the contrast and brightness nearly all the way down just to see them, and even then I have to get up out my seat to read them. And the dark bland green waypoint GPS mapping just sucks dick. I also hate having to drive for 2 minutes every time I fail/restart a mission. Just a few design flaws that make playing the game much more of a chore than it has to be.

I have no problems reading the text messages. Either get your prescription checked or adjust your TV.

I just figured out that if you go to your cell phone after you die / get arrested in the mdidle of a mission it gives you the option to "replay" the mission which puts you right in front of where the mission starts. Pretty cool.

They've always had that though... whenever you got out of a hospital or jail, there'd be a cab waiting there for you to take you to the start of the mission.

I'm kinda mixed on the GPS and the taxis. Obviously, they are great time-savers, but you definitely don't get to know the roads as well as you used to. In all the previous games, I knew the turns like the back of my hand. Now I just hop into a cab, pay $20 and I'm wherever I want to be in 5 seconds. If that's not an option, I follow the GPS (hearing the in-car GPS for the first time was a definite "whoa, cool" moment for me) and never really learn the routes.
thelaird

Postby jeff » Sat May 03, 2008 12:59 am

In all honesty, I'm not really all that impressed with this game
jeff

Postby thelaird » Sat May 03, 2008 4:55 am

jeff wrote:In all honesty, I'm not really all that impressed with this game

In all honesty, I'm not really all that surprised by your opinion of this game.
thelaird

Postby jeff » Sat May 03, 2008 9:15 am

TheLaird wrote:
jeff wrote:In all honesty, I'm not really all that impressed with this game

In all honesty, I'm not really all that surprised by your opinion of this game.

Yeah, it's no secret that I don't have the same hard-on for the GTA games as most.

Even so, the game is certainly one that has a lot of things going for it in areas, but there are others that are lacking. The big one, for me, is the multiplayer online setup. I don't understand why games just don't rip off the way Halo does it.
jeff

Postby Xero » Sat May 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Yeah, the multiplayer navigation is pretty shitty. That's my only main gripe about it.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby Alex » Thu May 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Wow, I made it two whole hours in before it stopped reading the disk.

F-in' rockstar.
Alex

Postby Xero » Thu May 08, 2008 3:15 pm

You're the only person that I've seen since release day that has had a disc read error.

I'm sure there's been others, but.. wow. Shitty luck.
Xero

Postby thelaird » Thu May 08, 2008 4:41 pm

thelaird

Postby Casey » Thu May 08, 2008 10:56 pm

I don't see what the point of explaining multiplayer is when half the people I know can't even attempt to access multiplayer without it freezing up the entire console.
"Your agony is gorgeous."
Casey

Postby thelaird » Thu May 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Casey wrote:I don't see what the point of explaining multiplayer is when half the people I know can't even attempt to access multiplayer without it freezing up the entire console.

My PS3 froze once in between games. Other than that, I haven't had any problems. They also released a patch that supposedly fixed all the problems that other PS3 users were experiencing. Anyway, the multiplayer is fun as shit, but the interface is anything but intuitive, so I found this guide to be very helpful.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Mon May 19, 2008 4:22 am

This game really blows up around 40-45% complete on the main missions. The main game is a trip, and Niko seems real.

Is it wrong that I look at my cellphone as if it's some sort of status symbol after having played this game?
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby thelaird » Mon May 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Yeah, GTAIV has one of the most engaging storylines I've ever played. I can't think of any other game that's actually been able to elicit an emotional response from me. After completing one of the missions, I truly felt like shit because of what I just did. It was crazy.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Fri May 23, 2008 3:36 am

Without spoiling the ending, did anyone else feel like the ending was just sort of thrown together? I feel like I've spent 30-40 hours playing this just to have every part of the storyline rushed through in like a half hour. I haven't beaten it entirely yet, but I'm not liking how quickly the pace changed to finish off the game.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games