Metal Gear Solid 4

No n00bz allowed.

Postby Meng » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

TheLaird wrote:
upgrayyed wrote:
Meng wrote:
Meng wrote:I've heard great things about this game, but I'm still not getting a PS3.

I was watching X-Play yesterday and they said that the cut scenes go up to an hour. Did I hear that correctly? Can you save the game mid-cutscene if you don't have an hour to watch it?


Laird or Ren, answer my question.


The cutscenes do take a while sometimes.. the missions briefings are the most brutal out of any of them, but even they are very watchable and most of the time enjoyable anyway.

This game has the most epic cutscene I've ever seen in my life in Act 3... very very powerful stuff.

It's amazing when you compare this game to a GTA IV or Gears. GTA IV to me was not a 10, or even remotely close to one. Definitely 9+, but not a legitimate 10.

This game is a seriously legit 10 across the board. Gameplay, production value, storyline, even multiplayer are all fantastic. I know it'll probably make me sound like a big pussy, but the cutscene I mentioned earlier made my eyes well up. I've not beaten it yet, but this game does not disappoint at any turn. (well, except for a mission in Act 3 which is more tedious than fun, but everything else is excellent.)

Absolutely a system-seller, and to date quite possibly the best game ever made.


Wait a minute.

Are you making fun of what I would say or is that a genuine post? Because from your text messages, it seemed like you thought it was good, but not as splooge-worthy as people are making it out to be.


You guys text each other?
Meng
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Postby Xero » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:14 pm

The Adam wrote:Never played golden eye.

For the PS2 I have about 9 or 10 games.... the 2 non-sports titles are Artic Thunder (though that could be borderline) and GTA3...where I never cared enough to get past the first 10 or so missions.


Well, if you're looking for a decent shooter to occupy your time, Timesplitters 2 and 3 are worth it. The developers had fun with the game, so there's a comedic side to it, and a lot of 'inside joke'-type stuff that you'd get a kick out of.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
User avatar
Xero
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Postby thelaird » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:08 pm

Xero wrote:
The Adam wrote:Never played golden eye.


a lot of 'inside joke'-type stuff that you'd get a kick out of.


:confused:
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Xero » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:28 pm

TheLaird wrote:
Xero wrote:
The Adam wrote:Never played golden eye.


a lot of 'inside joke'-type stuff that you'd get a kick out of.


:confused:


cheeky toilet humor that passes over most people's heads .. that i've played with anyway.

.. maybe i'm just immature.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
User avatar
Xero
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Postby Ren » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:58 pm

TheLaird wrote:
upgrayyed wrote:
Meng wrote:
Meng wrote:I've heard great things about this game, but I'm still not getting a PS3.

I was watching X-Play yesterday and they said that the cut scenes go up to an hour. Did I hear that correctly? Can you save the game mid-cutscene if you don't have an hour to watch it?


Laird or Ren, answer my question.


The cutscenes do take a while sometimes.. the missions briefings are the most brutal out of any of them, but even they are very watchable and most of the time enjoyable anyway.

This game has the most epic cutscene I've ever seen in my life in Act 3... very very powerful stuff.

It's amazing when you compare this game to a GTA IV or Gears. GTA IV to me was not a 10, or even remotely close to one. Definitely 9+, but not a legitimate 10.

This game is a seriously legit 10 across the board. Gameplay, production value, storyline, even multiplayer are all fantastic. I know it'll probably make me sound like a big pussy, but the cutscene I mentioned earlier made my eyes well up. I've not beaten it yet, but this game does not disappoint at any turn. (well, except for a mission in Act 3 which is more tedious than fun, but everything else is excellent.)

Absolutely a system-seller, and to date quite possibly the best game ever made.


Wait a minute.

Are you making fun of what I would say or is that a genuine post? Because from your text messages, it seemed like you thought it was good, but not as splooge-worthy as people are making it out to be.


Yeah, I certainly didn't see the 10 that IGN had given it at that point, but anyone that plays past the first act can tell that this game is really something special.

It feels weird to say it.. but this is truly the greatest game ever made.

Granted, there is some painfully cringe-worthy corny/gay/japanese-style shit that takes away from the epic feel of the game.

spoiler:

Like Akiba shitting his pants, his greasy ass head, and the stupid discussion about marriage that he and Meryl have while shooting the jumpers.

Just a few little things that I think the game could have done without.

But I'll say it again. This is truly the greatest video game ever made.

spoiler:

The part of the game where Raiden is battling like 6 or 7 jumpers with no arms and a sword in his mouth while Snake is crawling through the microwave hallway.. I don't think I've ever tapped a button so fast in my life as when I was clicking the triangle button there while Snake was crawling for his and everyone else's life. There's so much epic shit to this game... even the cutscene that follows the first line of credits is like an hour long, and wraps up EVERYTHING.

Where GTA IV left a lot of loose ends and haphazardly threw a bunch of shit together with no real closing or development at its end, this game does the complete antithesis and answers every question you could really think to ask. MGS4 is just fucking astounding. It really is. And that's without even touching the multiplayer.

I hate that this game will inevitably be marred by petty 360/ps3 pissing matches that go on (and that's not necessarily directed at you all, just people that get riled up about video game systems), and it's a shame too, because it's a truly unrivaled and special experience.

With that said though, I thought this was pretty funny:


Image

Now, before anyone tries to bury me with MGS4 like it's my favorite game, well, it isn't. If I had to choose the game I've ever had the most fun playing, it wouldn't be MGS4. But the production value, passion, and vision that went into creating this game is so far beyond any other that it really does warrant the title of best game ever made. Just beat it and I think you'll understand.
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:41 pm

question is the game worth getting?

NCAA comes out soon and i know i will be playing that more
User avatar
Brock
BrockCenter
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:51 am

Postby thelaird » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes, MGS4 is the greatest video game ever made. It's as much movie as it is game, but the cutscenes are amazing and the story is fucking epic. If you liked the other games, there's absolutely no reason not to run out and get this game immediately. If you didn't like the other games, you should probably get it anyway, but you can take your time.
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Meng » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:23 pm

If you're going to play NCAA more, then get that one. There's also more replay value with that game.
Meng
 
Posts: 3826
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Meng wrote:If you're going to play NCAA more, then get that one. There's also more replay value with that game.


yea and i also heard about the online dynasty mode...anyone getting this as well?
User avatar
Brock
BrockCenter
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby andrew » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 am

yeah for ps3
andrew
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:23 am

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby Brock » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:03 am

andrew wrote:yeah for ps3


you going to be doing this?...and how it would work exactly
User avatar
Brock
BrockCenter
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby andrew » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am

im gonna go to a store and buy ncaa

then i'm going to put it in my ps3 and play it
andrew
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:23 am

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby thelaird » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 pm

Ouch. I just hurt my head.
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby Brock » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:29 am

andrew wrote:im gonna go to a store and buy ncaa

then i'm going to put it in my ps3 and play it


yes i know that...i meant about the online league(let me know how that is)
User avatar
Brock
BrockCenter
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:51 am

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby Ren » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Brock and Andrew, fuck you for shitting on this thread.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/919/919647p1.html

MGS4 = coming to 360?
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron