Mass Effect 2 nigo

No n00bz allowed.

Re: Mass Effect 2 nigo

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm

From what I've read on other boards, the Sentinel and Infiltrator are the beast classes in ME2, which is pretty funny given that they were garbage in ME1. The Sentinel is apparently the only class where you can walk up to bosses and punch them to death, which, again, is fuckin beast.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm

My Vanguard is at Lvl 20 now, and I feel pretty fortunate because I did the Jacob Loyalty mission early on and just chose that (Barrier) as my bonus power.

Now that I've got Barrier and Charge fully maxed out, with many of my weapon upgrades boosted near full capacity to boot, I can totally tank/charge/shotgun/melee my way to victory and have hardly a scratch to show for it. It's rough-going at first with the Vanguard, because you want to charge everything and get raped every time you charge into 3 dudes that were hiding behind the corner. But your investment will pay for itself once you get to the higher levels.

I'm definitely going Sentinel/Infiltrator on my next runthrough though, probably the former.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Mass Effect 2 is phenomenal, although the gameplay at times can feel a little docile. That's probably because in my experience you'll spend easily 50% of the game either in conversation, walking around in non-combat areas, or loading screens, and the rest of the time in battle. I'd prefer to see some more action, but won't knock BioWare for going about it the way they did.

I've been playing pure RENegade (get it?) this whole time and my Shepard looks like a Cyborg badass straight from hell.

The gameplay mechanics, graphics, story and character development have all seen monumental improvements from the first Mass Effect, and that was one of my favorite games of all time. The paragon/renegade quick-decisions can make for some pretty intense story arcs.

One example- if you've already done the Assassin recruiting mission:

The quick-time renegade moment where you punch the dude out of a skyscraper was about as baller as it gets.

After a while the planet-mining and minigames get old, but that's to be expected. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the Mako a little bit, and I understand why they went the direction they did, but I definitely don't feel the same sense of exploration from beginning to end that I did with ME1, for all its faults.

Another minor beef: picking up equipment and not being able to equip it to your team on the fly is just stupid (even though I know there's almost always a weapon loadout near the new weapon pickups). Not having an Equipment tab at first seemed pretty outlandish, but I've gotten used to it and it works.

Yet another minor beef: I hate, HATE having to manually turn on my ammo types.... every single time, for every single weapon.

Perhaps the most disappointing of all is the fact that even on your new game+'es, you're kicked back to lvl 1. Pretty gay.

Still, this is a vastly better game than ME1 and a landmark achievement as far as I'm concerned. I can't emphasize enough how amazing I find it that my first playthrough will probably take 30-35 hours, during which I'll be a Male Renegade Vanguard and sacrifice myself to save the galaxy. On the second playthrough, I'll be a Female Paragon Sentinel, and survive the suicide mission. Both playthroughs encompass totally different stories, actions, and gameplay, and in essence totally different, incredible games. ME2 is the shit.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 pm

thelaird wrote:Oh, and can anyone tell me how the story goes if you save the Council?

I did, but just getting to the Citadel now, what do you want to know?
Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 pm

thelaird wrote:- I don't mind the memory minigame, but the match the code one is incredibly annoying. How so? The code game is easy
- I <3 Mordin Solus.
- I love how there are a lot more opportunities to Charm / Intimidate. This, I just punched a reporter in the face
- Headshots are awesome.
- This game would be 1000x better if you could hotkey your squad's talents. I guess that's a drawback of playing a console port.
- I really hope you can fuck that Kelly chick. That was my first thought when I met her
- http://www.masseffect2faces.com/
- You sacrifice your life to save Seth Green? Bullshit. I took every opportunity to be a dick to that guy, no way my Shepard would save him.
Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Scanning planets is getting very irritating. I understand it is a necessary evil but I find myself half asleep when searching for minerals to purchase upgrades. At least I finally got a new scanner.

Totally agree with your spoiler tag Ren, I'm playing through as paragon but I make sure to not miss any of the interrupt conversation actions.

Also, having a spot in the game to add a new weapon talent was clutch too. Now my lvl 19 Infiltrator can use Assault Rifles too.

Was anybody else pumped when Archangel turned out to be Garrus? I had seen the video for it but assumed it was on the Citadel and Garrus returned to C-Sec.
Steve

Postby thelaird » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Steve wrote:
thelaird wrote:Oh, and can anyone tell me how the story goes if you save the Council?

I did, but just getting to the Citadel now, what do you want to know?

If you don't save the Council in ME1 or if you start a fresh game in ME2, the council died, there's a new human-lead council, all the other species hate humans, and Udina is a douchebag. I'm just wondering what's different if you do save the council in ME1.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Ren wrote:From what I've read on other boards, the Sentinel and Infiltrator are the beast classes in ME2, which is pretty funny given that they were garbage in ME1. The Sentinel is apparently the only class where you can walk up to bosses and punch them to death, which, again, is fuckin beast.

I never played a Sentinel, but Infiltrators were fucking beast. I made a post about it, but that was before I realized exactly why they were as awesome as they were. Sure, they could run over just about anyone because Immunity was overpowered, but their real strength comes from not having to drag some squishy tech guy around. My last playthrough, I took Ashley and Wrex and abused the fuck out of immunity. It was a ridiculously strong.

I'm definitely tempted to play a Sentinel. They sound pretty OP, but a lot of their strength comes from Tech Armor which doesn't really seem like a "fun" ability.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Ren wrote:My Vanguard is at Lvl 20 now, and I feel pretty fortunate because I did the Jacob Loyalty mission early on and just chose that (Barrier) as my bonus power.

Now that I've got Barrier and Charge fully maxed out, with many of my weapon upgrades boosted near full capacity to boot, I can totally tank/charge/shotgun/melee my way to victory and have hardly a scratch to show for it. It's rough-going at first with the Vanguard, because you want to charge everything and get raped every time you charge into 3 dudes that were hiding behind the corner. But your investment will pay for itself once you get to the higher levels.

I'm definitely going Sentinel/Infiltrator on my next runthrough though, probably the former.

Yeah, I haven't gotten far enough to pick up a bonus ability, but I can see how Barrier would round out the Vanguard class. From what I've read though, it's still not enough, especially for more difficult settings.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Ren wrote:The gameplay mechanics, graphics, story and character development have all seen monumental improvements from the first Mass Effect, and that was one of my favorite games of all time. The paragon/renegade quick-decisions can make for some pretty intense story arcs.

Yeah, as much as I loved the first one, this game feels much more polished. All around, a better experience so far.

I dunno if this was a problem for 360, but the load times seem drastically improved. A huge, huge plus IMO.

Yet another minor beef: I hate, HATE having to manually turn on my ammo types.... every single time, for every single weapon.

This pisses me off so much. It seems like it gets reset after every cutscene. Completely, totally unnecessary.

Still, this is a vastly better game than ME1 and a landmark achievement as far as I'm concerned.

I love ME1, but I feel kind of stupid for thinking it was a great game considering how much better ME2 is.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Steve wrote:
thelaird wrote:- I don't mind the memory minigame, but the match the code one is incredibly annoying. How so? The code game is easy

It's not hard, because they give you an absurd amount of time. It's just annoying.

- I love how there are a lot more opportunities to Charm / Intimidate. This, I just punched a reporter in the face

You can do that in the first one. In fact, I think Shepard even says "I wish I did that to you the first time we met" or something like that.

- I really hope you can fuck that Kelly chick. That was my first thought when I met her

Haha, awesome. It's hard to talk about video game chicks without sounding like a massive dork, but whatever.. she's definitely the hottest in this game. I didn't really think much of her at first (aside from: damn, she's cute) because she seems like a really minor character until some convo came up and you can choose "I'd embrace you." I'm not going to pass up a chance to be a pervy bastard, so I took it. She flirted back and ever since then I've been talking to her every now and then, looking for new dialog options. She better put out.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 pm

thelaird wrote:
Ren wrote:My Vanguard is at Lvl 20 now, and I feel pretty fortunate because I did the Jacob Loyalty mission early on and just chose that (Barrier) as my bonus power.

Yeah, I haven't gotten far enough to pick up a bonus ability, but I can see how Barrier would round out the Vanguard class. From what I've read though, it's still not enough, especially for more difficult settings.

I'm playing on Normal mode, so I'm sure you're totally right. Having to throw Barrier out every 60 seconds after it expires blows too, although with the Tech armor I believe you keep it forever until enemies damage you enough. Vanguard's a tough class to beat action-wise though.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Speaking of the whores of Mass Effect 2, I've boned Jack (a female i think) and kissed Miranda so far, and made passes at Tali as well. Is Kelly the one that tells you whenever you get an e-mail? I'll definitely be disappointed if I don't get to bone her.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Ren wrote:Speaking of the whores of Mass Effect 2, I've boned Jack (a female i think) and kissed Miranda so far, and made passes at Tali as well. Is Kelly the one that tells you whenever you get an e-mail? I'll definitely be disappointed if I don't get to bone her.

Yes, Kelly is the redhead that stands next to the galaxy map and looks pretty.

While you're at it, try your luck with Dr. Chakwas and that engineer-chick. I'd suggest Samara, but I'm afraid she'd cut off your dick if you made an advance on her.
Steve

Postby Ren » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 am

Steve wrote:
Ren wrote:Speaking of the whores of Mass Effect 2, I've boned Jack (a female i think) and kissed Miranda so far, and made passes at Tali as well. Is Kelly the one that tells you whenever you get an e-mail? I'll definitely be disappointed if I don't get to bone her.

Yes, Kelly is the redhead that stands next to the galaxy map and looks pretty.

While you're at it, try your luck with Dr. Chakwas and that engineer-chick. I'd suggest Samara, but I'm afraid she'd cut off your dick if you made an advance on her.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Tali is far and away the finest piece of ace on the ship.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games