Fallout 3

No n00bz allowed.

Fallout 3

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I was watching the microsoft press conference again, when they announced that Fallout 3 would have exclusive DLC for 360, and I noticed that the producer mentioned that the trailer early on was only half of the actual trailer that would be posted online.

It runs a shade over 3:00 long. Anyhow, it's got a much better look at all the shit going on with Fallout 3 than the 5-minute demo. Definitely worth a look. And as with about 73 other games coming out in the next year, it looks sick as hell.


http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/8823 ... 71408.html
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Jellis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:37 pm

I am going to comment on this game every time it comes up, it might be a good game, there is enough back story from the 3 previous games to make it have a rich deep history, but I am seriously afraid that the only common thread will be the title and the equipment
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
User avatar
Jellis
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Jellis wrote:I am going to comment on this game every time it comes up, it might be a good game, there is enough back story from the 3 previous games to make it have a rich deep history, but I am seriously afraid that the only common thread will be the title and the equipment


I never played any of the old Fallout games. Wasn't it just some sort of isometric turn-based RPG?

There does seem to be a little bit of an RPG combat element in the Vault targeting system, fwiw.
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Jellis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:22 pm

ren wrote:
Jellis wrote:I am going to comment on this game every time it comes up, it might be a good game, there is enough back story from the 3 previous games to make it have a rich deep history, but I am seriously afraid that the only common thread will be the title and the equipment


I never played any of the old Fallout games. Wasn't it just some sort of isometric turn-based RPG?

There does seem to be a little bit of an RPG combat element in the Vault targeting system, fwiw.



Pretty much was the system, but you could do anything. If you wanted to kill anyone you could, sure it might make most people in the town run or fight you, but hey its your choice. You could got he whole game and never kill anyone or kill everyone. It also had a deep experince system where you got Perks. These perks were all over the board one might improve your sniping skills another your melee skills and another made you better at sex. You could use sex in many situations as a tool, early on for example in fall out 2 you need to talk with an NPC but hes been captured by salvers if you choose to have sex with the salve leader he cuts down on the price majorily. Your character could be a paragon of virtue or a slut, drug using, murder. who sells your companions into salivary. To this day not sure I have ever played a game that left me with so many options. I mean theres like 20 tag skills and each can serious change the game. If you took gambling early on you could clear out most casinos, talk would open up many different conversation options, there was about 6 or 7 different base weapons melee,small guns, big guns, energy weapons, throw weapons are the ones off the top of my head. The thing is you only get 3 tag skills which are the skills that will be the cheapest to lvl, so many times you end up replaying the game to just try a new skill set, a new approach.


http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/featur ... /p-14.html

In the end large world with many choices, great sense of humor, and a genuine expect feel made it one of my all time favorite series
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
User avatar
Jellis
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Jellis » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm

My top RPGS all time in no particular order FF3, american number, KOTOR, Suikoden II, Phantasy star IV, Chrono Trigger, and Fall out 2, I know its a top six, but its really hard for me not to make it 7 and include lufia 2.

thats how good I though fallout 2 was
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
User avatar
Jellis
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Jellis wrote:
ren wrote:
Jellis wrote:I am going to comment on this game every time it comes up, it might be a good game, there is enough back story from the 3 previous games to make it have a rich deep history, but I am seriously afraid that the only common thread will be the title and the equipment


I never played any of the old Fallout games. Wasn't it just some sort of isometric turn-based RPG?

There does seem to be a little bit of an RPG combat element in the Vault targeting system, fwiw.



Pretty much was the system, but you could do anything. If you wanted to kill anyone you could, sure it might make most people in the town run or fight you, but hey its your choice. You could got he whole game and never kill anyone or kill everyone. It also had a deep experince system where you got Perks. These perks were all over the board one might improve your sniping skills another your melee skills and another made you better at sex. You could use sex in many situations as a tool, early on for example in fall out 2 you need to talk with an NPC but hes been captured by salvers if you choose to have sex with the salve leader he cuts down on the price majorily. Your character could be a paragon of virtue or a slut, drug using, murder. who sells your companions into salivary. To this day not sure I have ever played a game that left me with so many options. I mean theres like 20 tag skills and each can serious change the game. If you took gambling early on you could clear out most casinos, talk would open up many different conversation options, there was about 6 or 7 different base weapons melee,small guns, big guns, energy weapons, throw weapons are the ones off the top of my head. The thing is you only get 3 tag skills which are the skills that will be the cheapest to lvl, so many times you end up replaying the game to just try a new skill set, a new approach.


http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/featur ... /p-14.html

In the end large world with many choices, great sense of humor, and a genuine expect feel made it one of my all time favorite series


I guess one of the inevitable casualties of going the 3rd-person 3d shooter route with it are that it's going to lose a lot of its depth. It's tough to say now, but Bethesda doesn't fuck around with RPGs, and given their track record I think they'd have enough admiration for the series that they'd go out of their way to make sure that the original Fallout fans were pleased with it too. The producer does mention that you can be a diplomat of sorts in this game too, so I think it will have a fair amount of depth to it. Did you ever play Oblivion?
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Ren » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:46 pm

http://kotaku.com/5043549/five-new-fall ... lay-videos

My jaw dropped when he walked out the door in that first video. The music is epic.
User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Ren » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:29 pm

User avatar
Ren
Dirty Mexican
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am
Location: the internet

Re: Fallout 3

Postby thelaird » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

dayum
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Fallout 3

Postby thelaird » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:04 am

Fuck you, Australia.

http://kotaku.com/5047637/fallout-3-kic ... tervention

When Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification board refused to rate Fallout 3, it did so due to one too many drug references. Apparently, the virtual use of opiates in-game — "material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use,” in OFLC-speak; "chems" in game speak — is frowned upon. The uptight Aussies later cleared the game for release, giving Fallout 3 an MA15+ rating, but only after Bethesda Softworks cleaned up its act.

Fallout 3 hasn't just gone cold turkey in Australia, mind you, as Bethesda's Pete Hines tells Edge that any and all references to real-world drugs have been removed — from all versions.
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Jellis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:23 pm

No comments on this after it came out to rave reviews, I do like that they stuck to the old specials system and that they do not use the oblivion experience system, which I hated, but I think I might avoid the game because I detest level caps, no reason for them and if a player wants to make a god type character they should allowed to, it always ruins the fun in games its the reason I quit guild wars
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
User avatar
Jellis
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Re: Fallout 3

Postby thelaird » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Jellis wrote:its the reason I quit guild wars


That's just stupid. For a single player game, maybe. But how do you balance an MMO with no level cap?
Image
User avatar
thelaird
 
Posts: 6646
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Jellis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:04 pm

thelaird wrote:
Jellis wrote:its the reason I quit guild wars


That's just stupid. For a single player game, maybe. But how do you balance an MMO with no level cap?



it might be stupid, but its just how I am, with out leveling I just lose interest its like whats the point of doing any of the quests, I got a nice lvl 20 ranger in guild wars that I just lost interest in because I didn't see the point to playing. In a single player game especially when the reviews say you will hit the cap and still have a shit ton to do its even worse
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
User avatar
Jellis
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 am

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Xero » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:15 am

when it comes to guild wars all it boils down to nowadays is title grinding / dungeon dwelling / farming for "rare" items (for the pve in you) .. and if you're not into that, it's all about pvp, which is possibly the main reason for the lvl 20 cap, to help balance skills so things aren't too unfair.

i own all the guild wars campaigns - bought each one the day it came out and played for almost 3 years straight - and if you're in a good guild (which is really, really hard to find nowadays) this game can keep you interested 24/7 -- but really for me, the people i played with made this game a hell of a lot more fun than it actually was. this was hefore they added "heroes" and all that stupid CPU AI adjustment bullshit, like making a 'normal mode' and a 'hard mode'. these changes, while at the surface were good additions for those with no life/no friends, it really helped to destroy the player base along with completely radical skill changes that helped to ruin pvp.

guild wars 2 will not have a level cap as far as i know, but regardless.. if the people i played with in guild wars 1 do not buy guild wars 2, i will most likely pass on it until it's $19.99
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
User avatar
Xero
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Re: Fallout 3

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:17 pm

I've read Fallout 3 has had some issues with freezing during gameplay, anybody here encountered that?
Steve
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Next

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron