Madden 09

No n00bz allowed.

Re: Madden 09

Postby thelaird » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:21 pm

That makes like 5 people with the game, how the fuck is a 2 on 2 tournament going to work?
thelaird

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

thelaird wrote:That makes like 5 people with the game, how the fuck is a 2 on 2 tournament going to work?

me, ryan, keyshawn, dave, meng, jeff, we could probably talk ren into buying it, and then surely somebody else has it
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Ren » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Meng wrote:I regret buying this game now. I should've just kept playing Madden 08.

Things that suck about this game:
1. Computer AI being retarded when catching a ball by the sidelines. Even if they have 15 yards of open field in front of them, if they catch the ball by the sidelines, they'll purposely run out of bounds.

2. Online leagues. Apparently, online leagues are basically broken in here. I've read that most people have had trouble finishing a game in their league.

3. To go along with this, the game always disconnects me when trying to play online. Why is it so hard to finish a game?

4. Player progression is shit. My rookie CB that's rated a 78 won the best CB award in the Madden awards screen. He gets rewarded by getting bumped up to an 81. No one on my team got an increase of more than 3 points. Also, my players don't progress at all when I sim the preseason. I don't know if they would if I played the preseason, but there should be some progression whether you sim or play.

5. The My Skill difficulty is pretty shitty. If the computer goes 18-21 against me, don't move my difficulty against the pass up. It gets frustrating that the computer's always completing passes against me because they only throw short and my linebackers suck in coverage. For some reason it's thinking I'm doing a good job too, when I'm not.

This game sounds fucking awful. I'm really glad that I didn't purchase it. Do the disconnect problems happen when you're playing people you know too?
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby jeff » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 am

Ha, yeah, I have no interest at all in any COD tournaments.
jeff

Postby Meng » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 am

Dan wrote:
thelaird wrote:That makes like 5 people with the game, how the fuck is a 2 on 2 tournament going to work?

me, ryan, keyshawn, dave, meng, jeff, we could probably talk ren into buying it, and then surely somebody else has it

I think Steve has it and I think Ren has it too. I have no interest in a tournament though.
Meng

Postby Meng » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 am

ren wrote:
Meng wrote:I regret buying this game now. I should've just kept playing Madden 08.

Things that suck about this game:
1. Computer AI being retarded when catching a ball by the sidelines. Even if they have 15 yards of open field in front of them, if they catch the ball by the sidelines, they'll purposely run out of bounds.

2. Online leagues. Apparently, online leagues are basically broken in here. I've read that most people have had trouble finishing a game in their league.

3. To go along with this, the game always disconnects me when trying to play online. Why is it so hard to finish a game?

4. Player progression is shit. My rookie CB that's rated a 78 won the best CB award in the Madden awards screen. He gets rewarded by getting bumped up to an 81. No one on my team got an increase of more than 3 points. Also, my players don't progress at all when I sim the preseason. I don't know if they would if I played the preseason, but there should be some progression whether you sim or play.

5. The My Skill difficulty is pretty shitty. If the computer goes 18-21 against me, don't move my difficulty against the pass up. It gets frustrating that the computer's always completing passes against me because they only throw short and my linebackers suck in coverage. For some reason it's thinking I'm doing a good job too, when I'm not.

This game sounds fucking awful. I'm really glad that I didn't purchase it. Do the disconnect problems happen when you're playing people you know too?

Yes.

This is the first year I've been really disappointed in Madden. I normally get exactly what I expect, but I didn't get that this year. I won't even play online anymore because of EA's shitty servers. The only reason I'm still playing the game is because I haven't played a franchise in several years and I wanted to do one.
Meng

Postby AlexR » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Call of Duty is awful.
The only thing I have to do is stay black and die.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby thelaird » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:58 pm

-5 for stupidity.
thelaird

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 pm

AlexR wrote:Call of Duty is awful.

are you kidding me? that statement is ridiculous and absurd.

not to mention you're the only person i've ever heard say that
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Meng » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Once again AlexR shows us that he's a retard.
Meng

Postby Ren » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Maybe he was talking about Call of Duty 1.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby AlexR » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Nah, I was trying to incite exactly what happened. I'm horrible at it for one and I just don't enjoy it enough to play it long enough to be respectable.
The only thing I have to do is stay black and die.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby thelaird » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:22 pm

I finally got a chance to play this and I'll echo the sentiment that it's not that good. My biggest complaint is that the game feels very sluggish. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Another thing that sucks is that the defensive strategy I like to use (detailed here) doesn't work nearly as well in 09. Your linemen don't move that much when you shift them, so you can't put as much pressure on the QB. It's still the best defensive strategy, but it's not OMGWTF good anymore.

I got a few questions:

Can someone explain player progression for me? I drafted a very young team but none of them improved during the preseason (which I simmed). In fact, Devin Hester got slower.

Does speed actually change in this? That would kinda suck since I drafted my team based purely on speed.

Do players improve during the season or just at the end of the season and the preseason?

And what's the deal with this training shit?

Is there any way to set your starters for each formation? I looked around for this but I couldn't find it.

Is there any way to "permanently" choose your playbook? I keep getting defaulted to the Titans' playbook and I have to manually change it before every game.

If someone could answer those for me, that'd be swell.
thelaird

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:23 am

The player progression is so shitty. I don't even think that any of my players improved over preseason. I traded away basically all of my players for 10 first round draft picks when I did my franchise. I've played 3 seasons since then, none of those players are above an 86 despite just about half of them always making the pro bowl and my QB winning the MVP once. I think no matter how good a player does, the max he's going to improve in a season is by 3 points. Also, I think players only improve for their first 3 seasons, then they're stuck at that rating forever. Basically, the most your player can improve from when you draft them is by 9 points over their career so it's basically impossible to get a player into the 90's since the best draft picks start off in the very low 80's.

The player progression in this game sucks so much and it's one of the reasons why this game pisses me off. If you simmed 10 seasons and then started to play as a team in franchise, I bet no team would be above 87.
Meng

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:20 am

http://www.easports.com/madden09/fullsi ... eek_update

Apparently player progression is supposed to be fixed in a patch. I'm not sure if this patch has already gone live yet or not. The patch will also fix a bug where edited players don't progress. That's just great for me since almost all of my players are edited (positions and numbers) and I have no way of downloading this patch.
thelaird

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games