What's the Best New System?

No n00bz allowed.

What's the Best New System?

Postby The Clown Prince » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:37 pm

So I'm finally looking to get a new system. But I want some honest opinions on which one is the best. I've done a fair amount of research and it seems to boil down to:

Wii - Innovative controls, good 1st party support, good for platforming games, good for parties and local multiplayer, lack of games for mature gamers, poor graphics in comparison, durable, cheapest.

Xbox 360 - Great library of shooters, great exclusives, good 1st and 3rd party support, excellent graphics, best online multiplayer, multiplayer costs money, poorly designed hardware, breaks often and easily, cheaper.

PS3 - Great exclusives, some good shooters fewer than 360, blu-ray, durable, comes with battery recharger, highest price.

Did I get it all? Which one is your favorite and why? And how often does the 360 actually break? Is it still worth getting a 360? Can the Wii be enjoyable without other people? Anything I missed? I still have no idea what to get though I'm leaning toward 360 or PS3.
SSBL - Florida Marlins
Nanking Trailer
The Clown Prince

Re: What's the Best New System?

Postby thelaird » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Whatever you do, don't get a Wii.
thelaird

Postby andrew » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:49 pm

ps3
andrew

Postby The Clown Prince » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:40 pm

thelaird wrote:Whatever you do, don't get a Wii.

andrew wrote:ps3

Reasons?
SSBL - Florida Marlins
Nanking Trailer
The Clown Prince

Postby thelaird » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:18 pm

http://kotaku.com/5305883/ps3-bundle-in ... killzone-2

$400 for a PS3, MGS4 and Killzone 2. That's a damn good deal, though even better ones might be available if the PS3 gets the rumored price cut in June August.

And why no Wii? It's an expensive kids' toy, not a video game console. No one argues this anymore. It offers almost nothing a male over the age of 13 would be interested in.

Dunno what kind of computer you have, but if you've got a decent one, I'd definitely go with a PS3 over a 360, since Microsoft releases most of its exclusives for PC as well and you can pirate the hell out of that shit. If not, I guess it depends on how much you like Halo.
thelaird

Postby The Clown Prince » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:44 am

thelaird wrote:http://kotaku.com/5305883/ps3-bundle-includes-mgs4-killzone-2

$400 for a PS3, MGS4 and Killzone 2. That's a damn good deal, though even better ones might be available if the PS3 gets the rumored price cut in June.

And why no Wii? It's an expensive kids' toy, not a video game console. No one argues this anymore. It offers almost nothing a male over the age of 13 would be interested in.

Dunno what kind of computer you have, but if you've got a decent one, I'd definitely go with a PS3 over a 360, since Microsoft releases most of its exclusives for PC as well and you can pirate the hell out of that shit. If not, I guess it depends on how much you like Halo.

Holy shit, that bundle looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up. My friend does have a modded xbox 360 he's willing to sell me though, but I'm still wary of the durability of that system but at the same time it would save me a lot of money on games. Yeah what is the price cut the PS3 is supposed to get? And when?
SSBL - Florida Marlins
Nanking Trailer
The Clown Prince

Postby andrew » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:59 am

his quote said june and it's july so...
andrew

Postby The Clown Prince » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 am

andrew wrote:his quote said june and it's july so...

I keep hearing it's August. I guess I could just buy that bundle, not open it, and then wait and see if a better deal comes out in August. I wonder what Best Buy's return policy is. That same article also talks about a PS3 Slim.
SSBL - Florida Marlins
Nanking Trailer
The Clown Prince

Postby thelaird » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:32 am

Yeah, I meant August.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:37 am

The Clown Prince wrote:My friend does have a modded xbox 360 he's willing to sell me though, but I'm still wary of the durability of that system but at the same time it would save me a lot of money on games.

I bag on 360 a lot, but it's obviously better than I give it credit for. That said, I would stay very far away from a 360 with a voided warranty. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who A) owns a 360 and B) hasn't had at least one break on them.

Yeah what is the price cut the PS3 is supposed to get?

Not sure how much, but I would be surprised if it's more than $50.
thelaird

Postby Meng » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am

I've had a 360 since May of 2007 and mine is yet to break on me. You probably shouldn't put that much weight on the durability of the system. Yes, the 360 has a pretty decent chance at breaking, but any system can break. Hell, you can get lucky like I have and have the system for 26 months without any problems. Even if it does break, you'd only be without it for about 3-4 weeks.

With that out of the way, it really depends on which exclusives you like better. I agree with Laird, definitely don't get a Wii. The Wii is a garbage system.

You have a gaming PC, right? If you do, that takes away some console exclusive 360 games such as Left 4 Dead and Mass Effect.

Personally, even if you took away those console exclusive 360 games, I'd still like the 360 exclusives better. The PS3 isn't a bad option though. It's 100x better than the Wii.
Meng

Postby jeff » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Got a 360 maybe two months after launch, and so far the only annoyances have been the occasional game freezing because of some bullshit unreadable disk error, and the disk drawer sticks once in awhile, but that is easily remedied. Of course, now I just jinxed myself.

I had a Ps3 for a few months, but a good while ago my brother's broke (it was dropped from a pretty high place, it wasn't anything factory wise), so I just gave him mine. I found it pretty pointless to have, as I already have a blu ray player, and that's pretty much all the system was good for to me. The good game's are on the 360 too and the console exclusives, in my opinion, were kind of boring. I did dig Fall of Man though.

I have a Wii as well, although my wife is the one who uses it a lot. Still, there are quite a few fun games out for it, like the Mario games, Metroid and Zelda. Basically first party shit is typically pretty good. But, while I don't agree with Laird and Meng about the Wii overall - personally I think it's a fun system and I'm glad I got one - I don't recommend it as your No. 1 console.

Anyway, personally I am a 360 guy, to me it's just the better buy for a gamer. Like you said, the online community is far better, so are the exclusives and so is the controller. I fuckin' hate the Ps3 controller.
jeff

Postby Xero » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Depends how much cash you're willing to lay down.

I just went with an Arcade ($199), but if you want to spend some dough, a good bet would be to roll with the ($399) Red Limited Edition Elite with Resident Evil 5 and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix + a ton of other goodies.

Regardless though, I'd roll with a 360. If you can find one with the manufacturers date sometime after October 2008 (get an 09 model to be safe), you are in the good. It's part of the new wave of 360s that have a different chipset and power supply (I think) then the old ones, which allows it to run quieter and longer without overheating/causing the red ring.

If you have any questions, shoot .. I'll try to help you out to the best of my ability.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby Jellis » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:49 pm

I am going to pick up the new xbox bundle I think. Its the 400 dollar one with the big hardrive, halo3 fable 2 and a 3 year warranty. Xbox just has more titles I am interested in only 2 PS3 exclusives that I have had an interest in is MG and Infamous.
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Jellis

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:10 am

Xbox360 has cooler girls, if you want to try to pick up chicks via xbox live.
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Next

Return to Video Games