What's the Best New System?

No n00bz allowed.

Re: What's the Best New System?

Postby Steve » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

LOL, the 360 outsold the PS3 in November despite the much better deals for the PS3 on Black Friday.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1054222p1.html
Steve

Postby thelaird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah, it beat the PS3 in one month while being carried by the most popular game of all time. Amazing. Fact is that in its first three years, the PS3 has sold a lot more than the 360 did during its first three years and on average, the PS3 sells almost 2,000 more units every day than the 360 (per Wikipedia), or about 8%. It's not all that much more, but it's still more. It sells more, has better games... the only reason anyone thinks the 360 is winning this generation is because it came out a year earlier.
thelaird

Postby Meng » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Laird, why do you think multiplatform games sell much better on the 360 than the PS3?
Meng

Postby Ren » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Steve wrote:LOL, the 360 outsold the PS3 in November despite the much better deals for the PS3 on Black Friday.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1054222p1.html

I can't believe people are still buying fuckin Wiis. It makes absolutely no sense. I fucking hate Nintendo now. We grew up, so the Nintendo games and platform should have grown up with us. Fuckers. I'd probably go ahead and kill myself if I was one of those kids who had to play the Wii while their friends played real games. The Wii is definitely the American Idol of videogames.

Pretty interesting that the 360 outsold the PS3 by well over 2 to 1 on MW2. I think the 360 dominates the PS3 domestically, which probably explains why an American FPS sold so much more on 360 than PS3 (and yes, obviously I'm aware there are ports of this game for other languages, I'm just saying that you don't see Super Turbo Warriors Orochi Ninjas selling a bunch of copies here). I'm sure PS3 sales poop on 360 sales in Japan. But the reason people think the 360 is winning this generation is because here in the States, it is. I'm being honest when I say that every single one of my real-life friends has a 360, but maybe half of them have PS3s, none of which were purchased before they were $399.

And Laird, you're probably right about sales figures for the PS3 being better over its first 3 years than the 360, but Microsoft also never had to drop their pricetag by $300 bucks. It's a good thing Sony did too, because there's no way in hell reasonable people would ever pay $600-700 dollars for it.

Bottom line for me is, I feel much more comfortable with the 360's online setup and just like the interface a lot more, and of course, the game library is better to me also. This is pretty much a recurring theme for people that own 360s. The only people around here that seem to say otherwise have only a PS3 and nothing else.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Wow, it looks like 2 of the games that put PS3 up over the top on the Metacritic Platform ranking were Braid and the God of War Collection. That's hysterical.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Meng » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm with you on the Wii. I don't see how anyone that considers themselves to be big fans of video games can only have a Wii. It seems like it'd be alright if you only play once a week for a half hour, but I don't see how you wouldn't become bored with it if you play multiple times in a week. Also, they have a worse online system than even the PS2. I hope that Nintendo bombs next generation and they just go to making software.
Meng

Postby Ren » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Yeah, it's a complete joke, and I'd love to see Nintendo fail. I think the future of gaming itself is in jeopardy. On one hand we have these super-high production value HD games that cost 80 billion dollars to produce that must appeal to a massive market like a PG-13 Terminator movie to negate the risk associated with making it, and on the other there's Nintendo and their casual games. Both styles of game are totally ruining everything as we know it. Hopefully we'll get to see developers taking risks on the more creative IPs like the Borderlands and DragonAges of the world. I agree that the Wii is a complete nonfactor as far as videogames, but definitely a cool toy for you to write letters with.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:03 am

thelaird wrote:Yeah, it beat the PS3 in one month while being carried by the most popular game of all time. Amazing. Fact is that in its first three years, the PS3 has sold a lot more than the 360 did during its first three years and on average, the PS3 sells almost 2,000 more units every day than the 360 (per Wikipedia), or about 8%. It's not all that much more, but it's still more. It sells more, has better games... the only reason anyone thinks the 360 is winning this generation is because it came out a year earlier.

MW2 is a multi-platform game so you have no argument there.
See the 37-month sales for the 360 and PS3, 360 was at 12.5 million while the PS3 is currently at 9.75 million:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/sho ... p?t=245920

Maybe you shouldn't be looking up facts on Wikipedia, eh?
Steve

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:06 am

Ren wrote:Yeah, it's a complete joke, and I'd love to see Nintendo fail. I think the future of gaming itself is in jeopardy. On one hand we have these super-high production value HD games that cost 80 billion dollars to produce that must appeal to a massive market like a PG-13 Terminator movie to negate the risk associated with making it, and on the other there's Nintendo and their casual games. Both styles of game are totally ruining everything as we know it. Hopefully we'll get to see developers taking risks on the more creative IPs like the Borderlands and DragonAges of the world. I agree that the Wii is a complete nonfactor as far as videogames, but definitely a cool toy for you to write letters with.

Yeah, its sad that the Wii is just dominating this generation with its piles of shitty games. Now both Microsoft and Sony are developing motion technology and I'm really worried it will doom gaming.

BTW-loving the Shepard avatar, Ren.
Steve

Postby Meng » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:52 am

Steve, those numbers that you posted are US only. Laird doesn't care that the 360 is kicking the PS3's ass in the US. He's happy that the PS3 is winning in Japan because he has a ton of Japanese friends that he loves to play with (that must be it, right?).
Meng

Postby Ren » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:54 am

Steve wrote:BTW-loving the Shepard avatar, Ren.

The time was just right, Steve. We Mass Effect fans have a lot to look forward to this coming January. In ME2 your whole team can survive through to the end of the game. Or, your whole team, including Shepard, can make the ultimate sacrifice to save humanity while the story for Mass Effect 3 is ultimately written with or without them based on your choice. I know I'll be going out fucking HARD on my first playthrough.

Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 am

Ren wrote:
Steve wrote:BTW-loving the Shepard avatar, Ren.

The time was just right, Steve. We Mass Effect fans have a lot to look forward to this coming January. In ME2 your whole team can survive through to the end of the game. Or, your whole team, including Shepard, can make the ultimate sacrifice to save humanity while the story for Mass Effect 3 is ultimately written with or without them based on your choice. I know I'll be going out fucking HARD on my first playthrough.

Damnit, I swore to myself I wouldn't watch any videos and get myself all hyped up for the January 26 release since I wanted to push off buying it till the spring semester was over. Now I don't think I'll be able to help myself :(
Steve

Previous

Return to Video Games