Modern Warfare 2

No n00bz allowed.

Re: Modern Warfare 2

Postby thelaird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Say Hi to Ice-T for me:

thelaird

Postby Meng » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 am

Estate is my most hated map in this game. It's the only map that really pisses me off when it comes up.
Meng

Postby thelaird » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Estate? Really?
thelaird

Postby David » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:15 pm

estate blows, also there is way too much fucking camping on this game. It's crazy bad, way worse then it was in COD 4
NSBL Bosox
David

Postby Ren » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:29 am

Modern Warfare 2 Perks

Perks are special abilities / power ups for multiplayer combat. There are only 3 perk slots available to you and each slot consist of different types of perks, so choosing the right ones for your class is crucial.

Unlike in the previous Call of Duty games, each perk can now be upgraded to a Pro version by completing its challenge. Note: Pro perks are additions to each perk, they don't replace them.

Perk Slot 1
Marathon | Marathon Pro
Marathon Perk Ability: Unlimited sprint.
Pro Ability: Get over obstacles faster.

Sleight of Hand | Sleight of Hand Pro
Sleight of Hand Perk Ability: Faster reloading.
Pro Ability: Gives a speed boost to how fast you can aim down the sight of your weapon.

Scavenger | Scavenger Pro
Scavenger Perk Ability: Full resupply from dead enemies.
Pro Ability: Extra magazines.

Bling | Bling Pro
Bling Perk Ability: 2 primary weapon attachments.
Pro Ability: 2 secondary weapon attachments.

One Man Army | One Man Army Pro
One Man Army Perk Ability: Replaces your secondary weapon. This allows you to change your class at any given time during a match.
Pro Ability: Swaps classes even faster.

Perk Slot 2
Stopping Power | Stopping Power Pro
Stopping Power Perk Ability: Increased bullet damage.
Pro Ability: Increased bullet damage vs. helicopters and aircrafts.

Lightweight | Lightweight Pro
Lightweight Perk Ability: Move faster.
Pro Ability: Allows you to do a quick aim after sprinting.

Hardline | Hardline Pro
Hardline Perk Ability: Killstreaks require 1 less kill.
Pro Ability: Death Streaks require 1 less death.

Cold-Blooded | Cold-Blooded Pro
Cold-Blooded Perk Ability: Undetectable by UAV, air support, Sentry Guns, and thermal.
Pro Ability: No red crosshair or name shown when you are targeted.

Danger Close | Danger Close Pro
Danger Close Perk Ability: Increases explosive weapons damage.
Pro Ability: Increases air support damage.

Perk Slot 3
Commando | Commando Pro
Commando Perk Ability: Increased melee distance.
Pro Ability: You don't take any damage from falling.

Steady Aim | Steady Aim Pro
Steady Aim Perk Ability: Increased hip-fire accuracy.
Pro Ability: You can hold your breath for a longer period of time.

Scrambler | Scrambler Pro
Scrambler Perk Ability: Scrambles (jams) the enemy radar in a small radius.
Pro Ability: Delays enemy Claymores, thus allowing you to avoid the explosion if you are fast enough.

Ninja | Ninja Pro
Ninja Perk Ability: Invisible to heartbeat sensors.
Pro Ability: Allows you to move silently.

SitRep | SitRep Pro
SitRep Perk Ability: Insertions. This will reveal enemy explosives and Tactical Insertions.
Pro Ability: Makes enemy footsteps louder.

Last Stand | Last Stand Pro
Last Stand Perk Ability: Allows you to survive a normal death. You will drop to the ground and pull out your pistol.
You can crawl in Last Stand, which was not possible in Call of Duty 4. Last Stand ends after ~10 seconds or if you get shot again, and in both cases, you will die.
Pro Ability: This allows you to use your equipment too, for example, frag grenades and throwing knives.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 am

This game is incredible. I feel like Call of Duty 4 was an overhyped piece of shit, but between the 3rd person mode addition and the unfathomably deep customization between classes, perks, and killstreaks, I really wouldn't be upset if this took GOTY. I do hate the campers, but I guess that's the price you pay when you combine a mildly realistic military shooter with unskilled players.

I've been trying to figure out a good setup for my perks. I almost always run with a Scar-H/Silencer & Stinger (which, btw, totally rapes vehicles) combo, but I've had a hard time figuring out the best perk setup for each given situation. I've been too lazy to make any other classes besides my MegaLord class. I'm thinking that I'll make a Marathon/Lightweight/SteadyAim class for CTF gametypes.

I typically use a setup that is as stealthy as possible, but with the silencer reducing the range of my gun and the deathskull being a good indication for where I'm at anyways, I'm starting to rethink this and maybe start going with a more offense-oriented class. Above all, the most useful thing for my playstyle that I've found is to take the time to stay on the outskirts of the map and focus on leveling up my perks. I was running with Bling Pro/Coldblooded Pro and using a Silencer/ThermalScope combo with my Scar-H, but the gun kicks too much to do any sort of useful sniping and is a lot slower on the draw because of the thermal. I'm gonna play around with these setups and let you guys know which one works best for me.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby thelaird » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm

I haven't played it yet (downloading it now) but from those descriptions I would think that Sleight of Hand / Stopping Power / X would be where it's at. I almost always fire from the shoulder, so the pro bonus from Sleight of Hand would be a godsend for me and Stopping Power is always solid. My first inclination for the third slot was Steady Aim, but I don't fire from the hip much as it is and with SoH, I'd do it even less. I'd probably pick up Scrambler. Claymores always get me and the radar thing sounds pretty OP.

Are the maps a lot bigger in this game than in the last? That's the only reason I can see using all those sprinting perks. What's the quick aim after sprinting? I can see that being pretty nice, but I'm not sure what it's talking about and it'd have to be pretty damn good for me to give up stopping power (assuming it's as good as it is in CoD4)

Silencers are nice in theory, but their usefulness depends on how many people are in your game. If you like to play in games were there aren't many people (say 6-8 or fewer), then they can be devastating, especially when combined with Cold Blooded and Ninja. But if you've got 15-20 people running around without a silencer, then their fire will help mask your own and all you need is a little movement (I'm always moving) to keep people from picking up on your location. Of course all this depends on your playstyle. I remember racking up kills with a silenced P90, UAV Jammer, and Extreme Conditioning, just running around away from the main firefight taking down single targets before they knew what hit them.

One Man Army | One Man Army Pro
One Man Army Perk Ability: Replaces your secondary weapon. This allows you to change your class at any given time during a match.
Pro Ability: Swaps classes even faster.

How long is the delay and if you swap to a class without One Man Army, can you swap back? Seems like you could just stick that on all your classes, put Stopping Power for one class, Lightweight or Cold Blooded for another, then move around quickly/undetected then switch when you encounter an enemy. Or you could start with One Man Army + Danger Close, spam your grenades when you spawn, then switch to your main class.

Bling | Bling Pro
Bling Perk Ability: 2 primary weapon attachments.
Pro Ability: 2 secondary weapon attachments.

I was looking over the weapon attachments... That whole post above was written before I looked up the attachments, which kinda changes things.

Akimbo

* Dual-wield any sub machine gun, machine pistol or handgun.
* Needs to be "attached" to the weapon in question.

Dual-wielding MP5s sounds dumb as hell. I assume there's a pretty big accuracy penalty, but that still has to be really strong. Slap grip (or rapid fire if grip is still for LMGs and shotties only) and steady aim on those bad boys and go to town.

Silencer

* Can be attached to shotguns and sniper rifles too.

I'd definitely be getting my Chigurh on. Shotties don't have any range anyway, no real loss there. Maybe use it with one man army. Class 1: OMA/SP/X with an assault rifle, Class 2: OMA/CB/Commando or Ninja with a silenced shotgun.

Full Metal Jacket bullets: More effective at piercing armor and walls.

Whew... I was worried I wouldn't be able to AK people through walls. The best class for CoD4 (IMO) is Bandolier/Stopping Power/Deep Impact with an AK. Looks like you can still get all that if you get Bling/SP/X, then FMJ and Bando as your attachments, though it's probably worth it to drop Bandolier for Sleight of Hand.

Edit:

Ren wrote:This game is incredible. I feel like Call of Duty 4 was an overhyped piece of shit, but between the 3rd person mode addition and the unfathomably deep customization between classes, perks, and killstreaks, I really wouldn't be upset if this took GOTY.

Forgot to mention that this bit surprised me for a couple reasons. First, you were all boners for CoD4 when it first came out. Second, I've heard from a lot of people who feel that MW2 is more of an expansion than a proper sequel and that the games are way too similar.
thelaird

Postby jeff » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm

It's the same game, just cleaned up some of the bullshit problems the first one had. I like this one better, personally, and think it is well worth the money.
jeff

Postby thelaird » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Well it looks like I probably won't be getting this. Apparently the multiplayer flat out sucks for PC and I'd rather just stick to CoD4 than play a FPS on a console. 18-player limit? Seriously? In a day and age where Sony is putting out a console game capable of hosting 256 players, MW2 can't go past 18... on a PC? The lack of dedicated servers is much more egregious. It's so far beyond retarded that I can't even begin to comprehend it. I guess all of this stuff is par for the course for console gamers, which makes me believe that no one who plays shooters on consoles has ever played one on a PC. This image pretty much sums it up:

A group of hackers have figured out a way to set up dedicated servers and hopefully they can get around the 18-player cap as well. It's pretty telling when you have to hack the game to make it worth playing. I hope IW's not surprised that the console version is outselling the PC version by more than 30-to-1. Of course this will only feed the cycle when IW chalks up poor sales to "pirating" instead of a shitty product and the next time around, PC users will get the shaft even harder. CoD exists because of PC gamers. The first ones were much bigger on PC than they were on consoles. MW2 itself owes a lot to the PC community because half the new perks and abilities were ripped straight from a mod (coincidentally, MW2 does not support mods). So fuck IW. I'll just keep playing CoD4.

Edit: Rambling on a little bit more here... that's exactly what this is about, people still playing old games. With no control over their own game, people will have to stop playing MW2 when Infinity Ward wants them to. I'll be able to play CoD4 for a very long time, thanks to dedicated servers. Counter Strike is over 10 years old and there are still thousands of servers you can play on. In 2 years, IW will flip the switch on its MW2 servers and you'll be forced to buy MW3 if you want to keep playing.
thelaird

Postby Meng » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

I wouldn't want any more than 9 vs. 9 gameplay on these maps. It'd be annoying if you died every 5 seconds because there's no place to avoid people. I remember 6 vs. 6 on Shipment from COD4 and that seemed like way too many people. I know that's a really small map, but that seems like the type of gameplay you like. I couldn't imagine playing 20 on 20 matches on the maps and I'm sure you want to play even bigger games than that.
Meng

Postby thelaird » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:58 pm

Yeah, the only times I played at Shipment were when I was trying to level up. It's such a shitty map, but 64-man deathmatches at Shipment get you ranked up in a hurry. It's really good for getting the headshot bonuses, you spawn, take two steps back, just aim at one spot and shoot until you run out of ammo.

I don't like games quite that big, 15v15 is probably the sweet spot for me. Maybe a little lower. In a 9 on 9 game, I'd feel like I was the only person there.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Have you ever so much as payed a dime for a Call of Duty game? If not, don't you think that might have some bearing on why IW doesn't give a shit about the PC market? I don't see how you can bitch about the quality of PC games when you've been getting them free for years now. CoD4 might be the illest shit ever on the PC, but if I could get MW2 for free I'd probably at least give it a shot. Can't imagine the fundamental elements that were in CoD4's multi aren't there in MW2 too. If you're that adamant about defending PC gaming I'd say it's your loss, because MW2 totally fuckin pwns CoD4.

Anyway, I've figured out the perfect class setup and it isn't even close. You can have access to all this stuff by the time you're like level 40 or 41:

Primary: M16A4 + Silencer/FullMetalJacket (whatever your flavor, but I prefer FMJ lately)
Secondary: in free for all gametypes whatever you're most comfortable with, but in team-based games I pretty much always carry the stinger for vehicular rape.

Perk 1: Sleight of Hand Pro
Perk 2: Stopping Power Pro
Perk 3: Ninja Pro

Ninja Pro is crucial there, unless you enjoy getting killed by noobs using the Heartbeat sensor. Plus, not making any sound at all when you're sprinting across the map is a huge tactical advantage.

Equipment: Tactical Insertion

You might think a couple of Claymores or some type of frag would be best here, but nothing beats being able to spawn right in the middle of the action every time you die, or right in the building or objective you're trying to hold down. Easily the best equipment type.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby thelaird » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:21 am

Yeah, I paid for CoD4, but that doesn't really matter. This isn't a case of Infinity Ward half-assing it because PC sales are down. In fact, it probably took them more time to develop IW.net than it would have if they just went with dedicated servers. As I said, they're trying to control the user and force them into the next sequel when the time comes.

Oh, and to bring up another angle, one you might appreciate more, they're also gimping the PC version to cater to casual gamers. That's a blog post from Robert Bowling, an IW dev. The first half of the blog basically says that finding a game is somehow too difficult (SORT BY PING?!? HOW DO YOU DO THAT?) and the second half is just plain bullshit.

Anyway, I do have MW2 downloaded and I might try it out. Some of the new abilities do sound pretty cool, but I'm not sure if the pirated version will work in multiplayer.

That setup looks pretty beast. I've always considered Stopping Power to be a must have for almost any class. What's the Heartbeat sensor? I saw a description of it, but it wasn't all that clear. Is it basically just an always up UAV?
thelaird

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:28 am

thelaird wrote:That setup looks pretty beast. I've always considered Stopping Power to be a must have for almost any class. What's the Heartbeat sensor? I saw a description of it, but it wasn't all that clear. Is it basically just an always up UAV?

Kind of looks like the Halo radar, as enemies appear as red blips on the radar that sticks out next to your gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QPONq4hYk
Steve

Postby thelaird » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Wow, yeah... I'm not sure why you wouldn't use that and Ninja's pretty much a must then as well. I might even get Bling so I can get a silencer and the sensor, dunno though. I think I can get online with my copy of MW2, hopefully I can get that to work so I'm not just basing all my posts on CoD4.
thelaird

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games