Starcraft 2

No n00bz allowed.

Starcraft 2

Postby Zach » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:45 am

The beta just went live a few days ago and I got an invite to it. I've just started testing it out and it seems to be a lot of fun so far. I suck at the game since I still have no clue what I am doing. I never did play the original Starcraft.

Is anyone else here even interested in this game and will any of you play the beta if possible?
Some people are like slinkies. They may not be good for much, but you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Zach

Re: Starcraft 2

Postby Meng » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:47 am

I'm very interested about this game. Can you play as any of the 3 races? Give any info you can because I loved Starcraft and I want to find more about Starcraft 2.
Meng

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Yeah, the original Starcraft was the shit. If I had a better PC I'd be all over this.
Steve

Postby Zach » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:56 pm

I've only played 2 games so far so I don't have much info yet.

You can play any of the 3 races already but can only do the online play. Right now that is limited to 1v1, 2v2, and FFA. The 3v3, 4v4, and anything to do with playing against the computer isn't available at this time.

I'm going out soon but when I get home later tonight I'll play some more and see what else I can find out.
Some people are like slinkies. They may not be good for much, but you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Zach

Postby Kevin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 am

I'm still stunned that they're actually releasing this after all these years. I LOVE that they're not trying to do anything too complicated with this. From what I've seen, it seems that's just the same 3 races, same basic gameplay, except they're adding things to make it a more in-depth, fresh experience. The single-player campaigns look REALLY nice from what I've seen, I think it's something close to 30 missions each.
Kevin

Postby Inspecta » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 am

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at this
Dan from Norco is on his way to kill me right now...
Inspecta
Chubby Chaser

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:23 am

Kevin wrote:I'm still stunned that they're actually releasing this after all these years. I LOVE that they're not trying to do anything too complicated with this. From what I've seen, it seems that's just the same 3 races, same basic gameplay, except they're adding things to make it a more in-depth, fresh experience. The single-player campaigns look REALLY nice from what I've seen, I think it's something close to 30 missions each.

They've just taken so goddamn long with this game it better be worth it. I remember watching a video of them messing around with the classes back in May 2007, making it nearly 3 years since then.
Steve

Postby Zach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 am

As you can guess the graphics have been upgraded quite a bit to be up to par with todays standards for these types of games. Most of the same units are available with a few new ones (from what I have been told).

Most people seem quite upset with the new voice of the Zerg. She's not epic sounding enough apparently. To me she sounds like an old woman who has no enthusiasm for what she is doing.

The suicidal aspect of the zerg monsters(?) is actually pretty cool looking and looks to be a good tactic.

The Terran have Reapers which are basically badass marines that can jump up and down cliffs instead of having to go around to a ramp to go up and down. The battle cruisers apparently have a much better AI and transports can actually pick up the big giant walking robot guys (whose name I can't think of right now) and carry them to wherever you want them.

Protoss apparently have a number of new units. The Colossus are really fun and completely destroy infantry without much effort but their armor isn't that strong and they are quite vulnerable against anything that has a decent amount of armor. The Protoss have a number of flying units that are great when used against swarms of Zerg Mutalisks and other like mobs but their abilities also make them vulnerable to attacks. For instance, the Phoenix have an ability that causes their weapons to overcharge and do tons of damage to a certain area. The one major drawback is after they use it they can't move or attack for a few seconds.

The chat and match making system for the game is much like what Steam uses. Blizzard is integrating all their games onto battle.net and people playing any of those games can chat with others that are playing any of the games on the battle.net servers. In time even World of Warcraft will have this feature. During beta it is currently only possible to talk to others playing the beta.

If you guys want I can try and take some screenshots tomorrow of the maps and all the new units. Just give me a heads up on what you would like to see otherwise I could be taking hundreds of pictures.
Zach

Postby Zach » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 am

Oh, one more thing that I like is the units don't really run into collision problems with their own units. Apparently in the old game (and in other games I have played like the Red Alert games) the units would have problems when trying to move around each other. In this game the units get out of each others way and then move back into their old positions.

I don't know if this is a new feature but the Terran supply depots can basically be used as gates. You can put them at the top of ramps to block the entrance and if you want to move your troops through you can click on the supply depot and click "lower". It basically lowers itself into the groun so your troops can pass. You can raise and lower them whenever you want.
Zach

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Zach wrote:Oh, one more thing that I like is the units don't really run into collision problems with their own units. Apparently in the old game (and in other games I have played like the Red Alert games) the units would have problems when trying to move around each other. In this game the units get out of each others way and then move back into their old positions.

I remember many a time when I was trying to send a large swarm of ground units somewhere and they would just end up going in about 10 different directions. Some of them would just start going in the most round-about way possible to get to where I wanted them. Dragoons were particularly retarded about this.

I don't know if this is a new feature but the Terran supply depots can basically be used as gates. You can put them at the top of ramps to block the entrance and if you want to move your troops through you can click on the supply depot and click "lower". It basically lowers itself into the groun so your troops can pass. You can raise and lower them whenever you want.

In the original the only movement I could recall doing with Terran bases is being able to hover most of the buildings and moving them to different locations, I don't remember anything about lowering them into the ground. That seems pretty awesome.
Kevin

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Kevin wrote:I remember many a time when I was trying to send a large swarm of ground units somewhere and they would just end up going in about 10 different directions. Some of them would just start going in the most round-about way possible to get to where I wanted them. Dragoons were particularly retarded about this.

While Dragoons were pretty stupid movement-wise (but completely bad-ass as infantry unit), Goliaths were hopelessly retarded when you gave them a direction and something was in their way.

Oh, and are Terran medics still female?
Steve

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:06 pm

This Tuesday is the long-awaited release date. I'm a little short on cash, so I'm probably not going to be able to pick it up until I have a couple more paychecks come in, but damn... I don't think I've anticipated a PC game this much in about a decade.
Kevin

Postby thelaird » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 am

So who's getting this? I'll probably pick it up after work tomorrow.
thelaird

Postby Inspecta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:12 am

I'm waiting on a student loan check to come in, once that puppy comes I'll be getting this fo' sho'
Dan from Norco is on his way to kill me right now...
Inspecta
Chubby Chaser

Postby thelaird » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Steve wrote:Oh, and are Terran medics still female?

Yes
thelaird

Next

Return to Video Games