mass effect 3

No n00bz allowed.

mass effect 3

Postby Jellis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:05 pm

I think this might be the game I have most anticipated ever, I was pretty excited for SWOTR just for a chance to see Revan again, but just replayed ME 2 and I think a decent chance I end up play ME 3 then going back and redoing the whole story over starting at 1, the epic scope of the game looks great. Plus they really seem to be doing a great job taking the best parts of 1 and 2
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Jellis

Re: mass effect 3

Postby thelaird » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Has anyone finished this?

and want to talk about how fucking awful the endings were? They totally killed my desire to replay the game. I was really hyped to go back through as Adept after playing a Vanguard the first go around. Now I don't care. It more or less ruined the game for me and is a huge black mark on the series as a whole.
thelaird

Postby Jellis » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 pm

I agree completey on top of that
How did characters who were on the planet make it back to Normandy to escape, and if played the arrival DLC you learned a relay exploding destroys a star system so how did that ending not kill every living thing in the galaxy. SO the ending isn't feasible and is just a load of crap and totally mismanaged. I loved my time in the game till Earth, the final chapter is pretty horrible. I mean how is your last fight just a random fight against waves of enemies
Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Jellis

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:56 pm

thelaird wrote:Has anyone finished this?

and want to talk about how fucking awful the endings were? They totally killed my desire to replay the game. I was really hyped to go back through as Adept after playing a Vanguard the first go around. Now I don't care. It more or less ruined the game for me and is a huge black mark on the series as a whole.

yeah the ending sucked ass. The best explanation I found for it on the internet is that Shepard was indoctrinated the whole time and was slowing losing it throughout the game. Such as the lame chasing the little boy around in the dream sequence. But that does not really make the ending any better.
Steve

Postby thelaird » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Steve wrote:
thelaird wrote:Has anyone finished this?

yeah the ending sucked ass. The best explanation I found for it on the internet is that Shepard was indoctrinated the whole time and was slowing losing it throughout the game. Such as the lame chasing the little boy around in the dream sequence. But that does not really make the ending any better.

Yeah, I saw that. I don't buy it. Seems like people just came up with some far-fetched explanation to try to make the ending a little more tolerable in their eyes. And even then, it doesn't change the fact that all the endings are the same, there is no closure, no choice, ect, ect. And why can't there be any happy endings? They don't all have to be happy, but at least give me one uplifting one to aim for. They were all depressing as fuck.

My favorite part is how it was apparently established in a DLC that when a mass relay explodes, the explosion is big enough to kill everyone in that galaxy. So Sheppard single-handedly wiped out the entire universe. And even if you decide that it's a different explosion, all those fleets are now stuck on Earth and will all starve to death, assuming the Krogan don't eat them first. Awesome.

This is my preferred version of the ending (spoilers):

thelaird

Postby Ren » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm really too lazy and uninformed to construct a meaningful post about this, so you get a lazy cut and paste.

(5:14:21 PM) plundodog: well, that's one place where i got fucked
(5:14:44 PM) plundodog: my original mass effect save file was corrupted, so no import on me2
(5:15:07 PM) plundodog: and my playthrough of me2 was on a different xbl account than the one i use now. so no import of me2 on me3 (lost a ton of characters)

(5:15:31 PM) plundodog: on my final mission, i had a grand total of 4 party members to choose from
(5:16:31 PM) plundodog: in my version of the game, jack wasn't even there, ashley was killed, tali jumped off a cliff, i didn't buy the retarded prothean dlc, and i didn't have any other characters from me2 besides liara and garrus

(5:16:56 PM) plundodog: i may have the most failed runthrough of me3 of anybody
(5:18:28 PM) plundodog: i didn't worry too much about the ending. i think they left a lot of it up for interpretation
(5:19:14 PM) plundodog: i don't usually get hung up on plotholes when the story could make due just fine without the characters and storylines that get lost in the shuffle

(5:20:36 PM) plundodog: i viewed the need for "order" from the reapers as being the desires of an autonomous AI, not an organic civilization that believes it needs to kill itself to prevent organic civilizations from killing themselves
(5:20:48 PM) plundodog: i agree that the ghost of the kid really didn't make any sense to me at all
(5:21:13 PM) plundodog: and joker. are they seriously gonna use seth green as the main character of a future storyline? get the fuck out of here
(5:22:14 PM) plundodog: i still need to watch some of the postanalysis videos. i haven't looked at many of the interpretations that have been made after the fact

In short, I think the developers deserve a lot more credit for what they did than just getting shit on over the ending.

I like the idea of the protagonist sacrificing himself to save humanity more than the traditional michael bay bullshit. Watching the conversation unfold between Shepard, Anderson and the Illusive Man was one of the most surreal moments in video game history for me. It was a great series and it's sickening to me how easily so-called fans of the franchise can tee off on the devs for constructing an ending they didn't like.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby thelaird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Ren wrote:I like the idea of the protagonist sacrificing himself to save humanity more than the traditional michael bay bullshit. Watching the conversation unfold between Shepard, Anderson and the Illusive Man was one of the most surreal moments in video game history for me. It was a great series and it's sickening to me how easily so-called fans of the franchise can tee off on the devs for constructing an ending they didn't like.

Save humanity? You must have missed the part where everyone dies in colored Michael Bay-esque explosions.

And save your self-righteous 'fans of the franchise' bullshit. Why is it so sickening that we want a decent ending? One that doesn't disregard every single decision made up to this point in, spanning three games and countless hours of gameplay*. One that actually provides closure to the series instead of raising more questions than it answers. Instead, I'm supposed to be happy with whatever garbage they put out? Because I enjoyed the first 99% of the series, the ending is beyond criticism? Yeah, fuck that.

* - Across the three games, I've probably put around 125-150 hours into Mass Effect. And BioWare shits on all of that in 5 minutes. Yeah, I don't see why people are pissed either.

And just for fun, this was posted over 2 years ago:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... x/970146/1

"There are two endings I wouldn't like for ME 3. One being a random GOD LIKE force that saves the Galaxy or another being that to defeat the Reapers, everyone has to become a primitivst and destroy the Relays, Citadel, etc. Both would make me pretty unhappy as those endings have been done to death."

Bet he's happy.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:15 pm

I don't mind people criticizing the ending. I just think they've gone about it in a childish way. To tear it down the way they have is like shredding a masterpiece because of one tiny little speck.

Plus I thought the ending was epic. I agree that the kid part at the end was a little unexpected, but overall the ending was phenomenal, decisions or not.

I don't see how anyone could participate in that ending and come away with the conclusion that it wasn't meaningful, whether it was what they had hoped for or not. I was completely on the edge of my seat and I'm thankful to Bioware for developing such a phenomenal series.

http://youtu.be/ythY_GkEBck

If you haven't seen that ^ video yet, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. Just incredible.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Ren » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:20 pm

quit being a crybaby faggot and accept that this is the way Bioware wanted the series to end
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 am

My biggest gripe is throughout the WHOLE series we have an attitude to kill/destroy the Reapers, then at the end of the game we have the option to not kill them. It's stupid on principle alone.

Not to mention the plot holes surrounding destroying the relays and not killing everybody in the system, having current squad members be involved in the final cutscene even though they were supposedly with you on Earth, having infinite ammo with the pistol at the end, only you seeing the stupid little boy on Earth, etc.
Steve

Postby thelaird » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Ren wrote:quit being a crybaby faggot and accept that this is the way Bioware wanted the series to end

How can you say that after linking the Indoctrination video? It's just putting words in their mouths and reading into stuff that just isn't meant to be read into. I accept that this is how BioWare wanted the series to end. That doesn't make it any better, it still blows.

I do agree though that some people have gotten a bit childish about it. Asking for a rewrite is taking it too far. It's also pointless unless they can also come up with a way for me to unsee the original ending. It is what it is. The ending is trash, but there's no going back now.

To tear it down the way they have is like shredding a masterpiece because of one tiny little speck.

That's all it takes though. It's 99% of an amazing game, but the payoff is so weak that it totally ruins the whole experience and destroys the game's replay value.
thelaird

Postby Ren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 am

thelaird wrote:
Ren wrote:quit being a crybaby faggot and accept that this is the way Bioware wanted the series to end

How can you say that after linking the Indoctrination video? It's just putting words in their mouths and reading into stuff that just isn't meant to be read into. I accept that this is how BioWare wanted the series to end. That doesn't make it any better, it still blows.

I do agree though that some people have gotten a bit childish about it. Asking for a rewrite is taking it too far. It's also pointless unless they can also come up with a way for me to unsee the original ending. It is what it is. The ending is trash, but there's no going back now.

To tear it down the way they have is like shredding a masterpiece because of one tiny little speck.

That's all it takes though. It's 99% of an amazing game, but the payoff is so weak that it totally ruins the whole experience and destroys the game's replay value.

I thought the payoff was fine personally, and that was before I even saw that indoctrination video. If what was said in that indoctrination video is true, it's even better. I was being facetious in that last post.

How would you have like to have seen it end? I view the personal choice thing as being way too ambitious to implement into the ending over the course of 3 games.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby thelaird » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Ren wrote:I thought the payoff was fine personally, and that was before I even saw that indoctrination video. If what was said in that indoctrination video is true, it's even better. I was being facetious in that last post.

How would you have like to have seen it end? I view the personal choice thing as being way too ambitious to implement into the ending over the course of 3 games.

How are you fine with this? Seriously, that's the ending in one image (and never once can your Shepherd question the logic behind it and tell that guy to go fuck himself). The Indoctrination theory, which is so obviously false that it's not even worth mentioning, would be even worse because it would give even fewer answers and would resolve absolutely nothing.

Not only is personal choice not too ambitious, but it's what gamers were promised by the developers. BioWare claimed the game had 16 'wildly different' endings reflecting not only decisions made in Mass Effect 3 but in the first two games as well. Instead we get one ending that reflects none of that. 100+ hours of player choice all thrown out at the end. Why even bother?

Here are a couple of ways I'd improve the ending:

1) Get rid of the God Child and the ending is immediately 100% better. There's even a version of the ending being passed around where the game skips directly from your conversation with Anderson after killing the Illusive Man right to the big colorful explosions. It's abrupt, but it still works so much better than when you include the God Child scene.

2) During Mass Effect 3, you settled centuries-long conflicts between the Krogan and the Solarians/Turians and again between the Geth and the Quarians. I would love to see the fallout from those decisions. It could be tragic, it could be happy, I don't care, I just want to know what happens.

3) But speaking of happy, what's so fucking terrible about happy endings? I'd love at least one. You've played the game perfectly, gotten the support of every last race in the known universe, why not have one ending where you just buttrape the Reapers with the Crucible and everyone lives happily ever after?

4) I'd also like to know what happens to my crew. I refuse to believe that they run away like pussies in the middle of the biggest battle in the history of the universe, so a proper ending that shows what actually happens to your crew would be a pretty good start.

You might notice a theme with some of those: player choice and narrative control. More than anything else, it's the hallmark of the series and it's totally absent from the ending. I don't know how anyone can be fine with that.
thelaird

Postby Jellis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I am curious how the patch will be, because the ending blew. I mean it went against things we had learned before, its like they had no clue how to end it and then went lets just throw together a 30 second crap bit who will care
Jellis

Postby thelaird » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm

The patch comes out tomorrow, I don't know if I'll actually play it. The ending is the ending, anything they add will just seem forced.

I also don't want to forget the contributions of the great Marauder Shields:

thelaird

Next

Return to Video Games