Seasteading

A place to show your less than three for Obama.

Seasteading

Postby Ren » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:11 pm

I know everyone has mixed feelings on politics, but I think we can all agree that looking at government in an entrepreneurial, customer-satisfaction sense is a good idea.

What it is

5-minute talk from the project's founder/spokesman, Patri Friedman (grandson of Milton).

Negative article from Slate:

http://www.slate.com/id/2271265/

Slate Response:

http://seasteading.org/blogs/main/2010/ ... ion-in-law

What do you think?
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Re: Seasteading

Postby An Adam » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 pm

I'll look back at it, seems interesting, we'll see.
2-time Home Run Survivor Champion
Career Record: Eli Manning 29-25/Tony Romo 19-5
Singapore stick? The problem is Singapore is a big pussy country. Get a Jersey Stick, then come hit me.
An Adam
Romosexual

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Their goal is to maximize political autonomy, but I think it's inevitable that there's going to be a decent amount of government resistance to this.

The price is inevitably going to go down with further generations of development, but right now they're estimating about $117 million for a resort-sized seastead off of the southern California coast. If they're looking to build larger structures on the water that can function as self-sufficient cities, I hope the first several ones that are built don't have some sort of catastrophic flaw that scares investors off. It's a very innovative idea, and one I'll be keeping my eye on now that I actually know about it and have looked into it some.
Kevin

Postby Zach » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 am

I just don't see how this could possibly work. The ability to import and export is the basis of any good economy and with that there needs to be rules and laws. You can guarantee that in order for one of these new "countries" to be able to trade with a UN based country that the laws will be somewhat dictated to them. If they try and trade with countries that don't have ties to the UN then they will be seen as terrorist groups and not as some sort of new and great country.

There's also the fact that these new countries would have to be based so far out to sea or they will actually fall under the jurisdiction of the nearest country (a countries boundary isn't only based on what is above sea level). If they are that far out to sea then they better be self sufficient or the economy will become extremely inflated.
Some people are like slinkies. They may not be good for much, but you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Zach

Return to Church and State