NL Central Thread

Does anybody still doubt that the reds are going to be the real deal this year?

Re: NL Central Thread

Postby jeff » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Fucking Cards and their shitty pen. I already hate having to root for them in the first place, but having Wainwright, Miller and Wacha on my $100 a team roster and watching that awful bullpen blow win after win for those three is infuriating.
jeff

Postby Cubbies » Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 pm

I picked up Wacha...I thought he he had a decent debut without looking at the numbers, but I should have known their bullpen blew it.
Ted Nolan, Islanders Coach, after a 2-1 win last Saturday: "My Philosophy has always been if we score one more than them, we have a good chance of winning."
Cubbies

Postby thelaird » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

That Wacha game was ATROCIOUS. Matheny should be fired for bringing in Boggs to close it out. Boggs has been lost all season and didn't even pitch well when he was sent down. Mozeliak shares some of the blame for bringing him back up. He has no place on a major league roster right now.
thelaird

Postby jeff » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Speaking of atrocious, how about his last outing? Kid looks like he has good stuff though. Even so, let's hope Cole ends up becoming the best pitching prospect brought up this season in the division.
jeff

Postby thelaird » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah, I feel like they called up Wacha a bit too soon, since he wasn't doing all that great in AAA (same for Cole, really). He's been pretty solid so far though. 10 K's to just 1 walk through 11.2 IP.

I'm loving this hot streak, but we're way too injured and leaning too heavily on unproven arms to keep winning. But we've got a nice soft spot coming up though (10 vs. Mets, Marlins, then Cubs), so we might be able to keep it rolling until Westy gets back. It all just feels unsustainable.
thelaird

Postby jeff » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Pirates had to win tonight with that matchup and came through. A Reds loss would make this good night a great one.
jeff

Postby jeff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:11 am

Oh my goodness, just when I thought it couldn't get any better than last night, it did. We'll take the series now and the Reds lost again. Sucks running into Wainwright tomorrow, but if Locke can keep on doing what he has, maybe we can decide that one on bullpen strength.
jeff

Postby jeff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Man, oh man... How sweet would it be to raise both the Joly Roger and a broom tomorrow?
jeff

Postby thelaird » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:49 pm

what a bullshit series
thelaird

Postby jeff » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Speaking of a bullshit series. No way we should have not at least gotten out of there with two wins. But, we're the Pirates, so... Still, if we can somehow get in the playoffs, out of the other four teams, the one I wouldn't at all mind seeing is St. Louis. Not scary to me at all, especially if we can have Liriano go twice against them.
jeff

Postby thelaird » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Yeah, that's cool. Some years I like to pretend things like Pythag and run differential don't exist too.

The Cards are slumping, no doubt, and we do struggle against lefties, but we're still obviously much better than Pirates. If you're banking on Liriano (who is as inconsistent as they come) and a fluke record in close games, then you're going to have a disappointing postseason.

But hey, at least you had one, right?
thelaird

Postby jeff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 pm

First things first. I'm not even sure the Pirates will reach the postseason. Twenty years of awful, including predictable but still painful collapses recently, will do that to you. Also, I realize that the reason they are in position now has almost as much to do with it being a down year for a lot of teams as it does with the Pirates playing better. Although, they have definitely improved in some areas and had some low risk/decent upside guys pay big dividends.

Look, I'm not for one second claiming the Pirates are a better team than the Cardinals. They aren't. Run differential - though it can be misleading - alone shows that. But there is no denying that the Pirates seem to play well against the Cardinals. And yeah, Liriano has certainly been inconsistent throughout his career, but nothing he has done in a Pirates uniform suggests it will happen this season. Barring some crazy collapse, I've no problem seeing him go against the Cardinals and would like our chances there better than against any other team, that's all. Obviously I would like them to win the division, but if not, it would still be the Cardinals I'd like to see over the Reds. Hell, they actually hit Wainwright well for some reason despite his record against them, if that's who they see in a one-game playoff.

And let's not act like the Cardinals don't have flaws too. Miller, it seems, has at times pitched over his head and has also hit a wall. Lynn should be a .500 pitcher, not one with 13 wins. The bullpen is still bad. And, as was said, they struggle against left-handers.

Oh, and I've got to be honest, the "at least you got one" thing doesn't bother me at all. For one, I have celebrated plenty of championships when it comes to sports, and while it would be nice if I got to see one from the Buccos this year, it's not the end of the world if I don't. Now, if they don't at least get to 82, then it might be close to the end of the world scenario. And for two, I do think the Pirates are going in the right direction for a change. Plus, when you sit though two decades of suck, you get used to the barbs. And hell, maybe it's true. It certainly has been nice not having to over-analyze the Steelers for an entire summer.
jeff

Postby thelaird » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Fucking Matheny. In one of the most important games of the season, he starts Westbrook as a "farewell" gesture and starts Molina and immediately pulls him so he can get an ovation, leaving shithead Tony Cruz batting 5th. We won anyway, so he's off the hook, but with the very real possibility of having to face Kershaw twice in a short series, why risk it? I know you can't fire your manager after back-to-back playoff seasons, but Matheny needs to go. We're winning in spite of him, certainly not because of him.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:55 pm

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/red ... leadership

"I asked Walt Jocketty if Price is up to the task of disabusing Joey of the notion that a base on balls is as beneficial as a run scoring sacrifice fly.

Walt gave me an emphatic “Yes,” but added, “that is something many more of us in the organization will also try to convey.”
thelaird

Postby Meng » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:02 pm

What a disappointing ending to the Cubs' great season. There was not one moment of happiness for me in the NLCS.
Meng

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball