We need a tournament

The tournament to authoritatively determine the greatest video game in the history of mankind.

Moderators: Kenny Powers, Ren

Re: We need a tournament

Postby Mark O » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 am

You accumulate a bigass list, then you just start lopping the fuck out of large parts of it. This is a good way to get a sense of your pool.
Free shit. More free shit.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby Kenny Powers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 am

Evil Gnarls wrote:You accumulate a bigass list, then you just start lopping the fuck out of large parts of it. This is a good way to get a sense of your pool.

I've pretty much already mentally lopped off about 95% of it, simply because it's such a fucking mess I don't really feel like sorting through it.
A lot of people ask me, "Kenny Powers, you're a giant superstar. You can get any woman. Have you ever paid for sex?' And the answer is yes, I have. Several times, in fact. And it's actually kinda cool. You can negotiate practically anything and sometimes, even just kind of do stuff in the moment that you never agreed to pay for and it goes by without much argument.
Kenny Powers
The Mole

Postby raymeaux » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:16 am

Killface wrote:Yeah, these big ass unorganized lists are so much better than short structured lists.....
can't keep my peace. you're being a whiny bitch. you complain that no one is contributing and then you complain when people start contributing...what exactly have YOU done to put this tournament together? I'm not saying you haven't done anything, but I haven't SEEN anything. The sole contribution that I have witnessed from you is complaining about other people's suggestions.

So, here's my suggestion. If you want a "short structured list" then shut the fuck up and make one. Because it's obvious that no one is going to be able to help you in any way. Or, if you WILL accept some help and want something specific, then ask for what it is that you want. Because all I can see is people trying to help you, you complaining that they aren't helping you in the way that you want...and then not making it clear what we can do to make this task easier for you.

Bottom line: these people are trying to help you, you could show them a little respect for that.
raymeaux

Postby Kenny Powers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:19 am

raymeaux wrote:Or, if you WILL accept some help and want something specific, then ask for what it is that you want. Because all I can see is people trying to help you, you complaining that they aren't helping you in the way that you want...and then not making it clear what we can do to make this task easier for you.

Yeah....I did that at the outset

Killface wrote:If you want to PM me a list of your top 8 games for whichever consoles you feel like contributing to, go right ahead. But just throwing all the games out there in a big clusterfuck thread is simply going to slow things down. Also, debate with no polls will just take away from the debate when the polls are up.
A lot of people ask me, "Kenny Powers, you're a giant superstar. You can get any woman. Have you ever paid for sex?' And the answer is yes, I have. Several times, in fact. And it's actually kinda cool. You can negotiate practically anything and sometimes, even just kind of do stuff in the moment that you never agreed to pay for and it goes by without much argument.
Kenny Powers
The Mole

Postby raymeaux » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:38 am

Killface wrote:
raymeaux wrote:Or, if you WILL accept some help and want something specific, then ask for what it is that you want. Because all I can see is people trying to help you, you complaining that they aren't helping you in the way that you want...and then not making it clear what we can do to make this task easier for you.

Killface wrote:If you want to PM me a list of your top 8 games for whichever consoles you feel like contributing to, go right ahead. But just throwing all the games out there in a big clusterfuck thread is simply going to slow things down. Also, debate with no polls will just take away from the debate when the polls are up.

ok then, I apologize for that. you have to admit that you have been a bit abrasive on the whole, though.

so, to be clear...what you want is for someone to submit 8 games for a specific system. I know you said to PM, but I'll do mine here if that's ok.

Platform: PC

1. Civilization 2
2. Starcraft
3. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
4. Warcraft 2
5. Diablo 2
6. Halflife 2 (pretty much the only FPS that I enjoyed)
7. Monkey Island 2
8. Baldur's Gate
raymeaux

Postby Kenny Powers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:50 am

Damn right I've been abrasive.

The ordered list is nice. It should make things much easier when it comes to the seeding process. Feel free to throw down some others.
Kenny Powers
The Mole

Postby thelaird » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 am

Killface wrote:
thelaird wrote: <long list of games>
Burnout 3: Takedown

Interesting....

thelaird wrote:
Killface wrote:So cross-platform games like Burnout Takedown or Sands Of Time have no place in this tourney? Fuck that.

They sure as shit don't. Great games, but they aren't among the top 64 ever. Or even top 100.

Yeah, I threw that in there just for you ;)

I originally had those shitty Halo games on there as well, but I didn't want to go overboard with it.

Killface wrote:

And that's just fucking stupid. Make the tournament fit the games, not the games fit the tournament.

Here's a few more for my list:

Baseball Stars
Blades of Steel
NHL 94
RBI Baseball
Tecmo Super Bowl
Super Dodge Ball
Excitebike
Ice Hockey
Pro Wrestling
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
Contra
Base Wars
Mario RPG
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Mario 64
Goldeneye
WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain
Double Dragon 2
Bubble Bobble
Bases Loaded
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man Soccer
Battle Toads
TNMT 2
Punch Out
F-Zero
Double Dribble
Streets of Rage
Sonic
WWF Attitude
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
Syphon Filter
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:12 am

I'm Awesome! wrote:And even though these don't have a fighting chance for a top 100(or 64) tournament, mentions to NFL Blitz and Destruction Derby, and Driver (i wonder how many people remember this one)

Destruction Derby was the shit.
thelaird

Postby Kenny Powers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:27 am

thelaird wrote:And that's just fucking stupid. Make the tournament fit the games, not the games fit the tournament.

Fuck that. I'm going to make this thing as easy as possible for me.
Kenny Powers
The Mole

Postby thelaird » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 am

Do it right or don't do it at all. No one's going to give a shit about the best game not on PC or current-gen console. Open the tournaments up to all systems or it dies. Once you do that, there's no easy way to organize it other than a free-for-all clusterfuck. That's just the way it is.
thelaird

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:49 am

socom II
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Ryan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:58 am

wow, can we have someone else be in charge of this? ive already had enough of duck's whiny hitler bull shit and the fucking tournament hasnt even started yet.

Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Ryan
The Sweet and Sour Avenger

Postby Kenny Powers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:00 am

thelaird wrote:Do it right or don't do it at all.

I am doing it right.

Right and easy happen to be on the same boat in this case. Which is good for me.
Kenny Powers
The Mole

Postby Mark O » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am

Maybe game genre would be a better way to break them down than console?
Free shit. More free shit.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby jeff » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 am

Haven't seen it yet, of course I haven't read everything, but any list without Super Mario Bros. would be a travesty.

Tetris has to be in there as well. Street Fighter II, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Symphony of the Night, and several others.
jeff

PreviousNext

Return to The l33t of the l33t