Getting this thing started

The tournament to authoritatively determine the greatest video game in the history of mankind.

Moderators: Kenny Powers, Ren

Getting this thing started

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:01 am

Laird asked me yesterday if I wanted to run this thing because Duck doesn't want to. I don't really want to, but I'll take part in running this tournament. Here's what I think needs to be done. First this thing has to be a 32 game tournament because 64 is way too many. Also, me and 2 other guys have to compile a list of the 32 games we think that should be in the tournament. If a game shows up on 2 of our lists then that game should be automatically in. We'd then have to figure out the other games that should be involved that is only on of our lists. Who else would be up for making their list of 32 games that should be in the tournament?

Next, I'd need help running this thing. I figure that we'd be putting up polls twice a week. I'd need someone to make the threads on of those days. I'll do one day, the other person does the other day. Who'd be up for that?

I want to actually do this tournament, but I'm definitely not doing it alone.
Meng

Re: Getting this thing started

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:20 am

I could help list some games. Are we just going with a clusterfuck of a list, or are we only allowing a certain amount per console?
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby raymeaux » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:31 am

Xero wrote:I could help list some games. Are we just going with a clusterfuck of a list, or are we only allowing a certain amount per console?

Just my 2 cents...but, who cares which console the best games came from? That's a topic for a different debate. Why try to limit the amount of games from one console and try to squeeze enough out on another? Just make a list and let the cream rise to the top.
raymeaux

Postby David » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:40 am

I can get a list of 32 games together sometime tommorrow.
NSBL Bosox
David

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:53 am

I don't think the console matters. It'd be stupid to limit the number per console.
Meng

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:58 am

Also, does anyone care to co-run this thing with me? I definitely won't be able to run this thing alone.
Meng

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:27 am

I sat down and went through the nominations and a few best ever lists online and came up with this:

Call of Duty 4
Civilization 4
Contra
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
God of War
Goldeneye 007
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 3
Half Life 2
Halo
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Madden
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
StarCraft
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris
The Sims
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
WCW/nWo Revenge (or any of those other THQ games)
World of Warcraft

You can use this as one of the lists you draw from or as a starting point for the actual list. I'm pretty confident I got just about every game that has a chance to win, so any changes are likely to be fringe games and probably aren't worth wasting a lot of time over. That said, it's not perfect, so I'm open to suggestions if we want to build off of this list. There were a handful of games I left off because I'm probably alone in thinking that they belong in this discussion, but I can very easily be convinced to add Baseball Stars, Mutant League Hockey, or Def Jam: Fight for NY.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 am

I also just remembered of a drunken convo I had with Mark last night and he had a pretty good idea for how to deal with the sheer volume of video games. We can have preliminary heats to pick which teams make the tournament. Throw any game someone suggests into the mix then run a bunch of polls where people pick one from 10 or so games and the top 2 make the tournament. We can play around with the details, but this seems like an idea that could work pretty well.
thelaird

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:46 am

raymeaux wrote:
Xero wrote:I could help list some games. Are we just going with a clusterfuck of a list, or are we only allowing a certain amount per console?

Just my 2 cents...but, who cares which console the best games came from? That's a topic for a different debate. Why try to limit the amount of games from one console and try to squeeze enough out on another? Just make a list and let the cream rise to the top.

I asked because I didn't know how picky you fuckheads would be about your precious list.
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:48 am

I'd eliminate PC games completely. That's a whole other monster, IMO.
Xero

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:40 am

Drop a handful of the best games ever made so we can add the theoretical 28th through 32nd best console games? I don't really see the point.
thelaird

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Considering we don't have a lot of WoW nerds here (I may be wrong) PC games may not be justified or as well represented as some of the better console games here. I'm sure most of you fags would vote Halo over WoW if it came down to it.
Xero

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Laird is the only nerd that plays computer games. We argue that computer games suck because you can't play with your friends, and laird argues that it doesn't matter because he doesn't have any friends.
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Diablo 2 and Starcraft should be in this tournament. I'm sure that there's been plenty of people here that have played both of those games.
Meng

Postby Zach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:26 pm

I never played Diablo / Diablo 2 or Starcraft, but even I know it would be dumb to leave them out. Just as I know it would be dumb to leave out Warcraft 2 (or 3). I'd also say Quake was a damn good game for its time and was actually a great game to play with friends.
Some people are like slinkies. They may not be good for much, but you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Zach

Next

Return to The l33t of the l33t