Getting this thing started

The tournament to authoritatively determine the greatest video game in the history of mankind.

Moderators: Kenny Powers, Ren

Re: Getting this thing started

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Zach wrote:I never played Diablo / Diablo 2 or Starcraft, but even I know it would be dumb to leave them out. Just as I know it would be dumb to leave out Warcraft 2 (or 3). I'd also say Quake was a damn good game for its time and was actually a great game to play with friends.

I agree. My point here though, is that most of the people here don't play them .. so they obviously have no experience with a game. Leaving them the only option to vote against it -- assuming it would be put up against a more familiar [to them] console game. Something like Halo or GTA4 would be voted for over, say, Diablo 2 or Starcraft, which is pretty retarded if you want an accurate representation of 'teh best game evar'.

The tournament scenario worked out for TV shows or sports guys because EVERYBODY was familiar with at least 95% of the shit we were voting for and debating on, while I'm positive that half of the games listed will be unfamiliar to quite a few of you (case in point: PC games).
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby Mark O » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 pm

thelaird wrote:I also just remembered of a drunken convo I had with Mark last night and he had a pretty good idea for how to deal with the sheer volume of video games. We can have preliminary heats to pick which teams make the tournament. Throw any game someone suggests into the mix then run a bunch of polls where people pick one from 10 or so games and the top 2 make the tournament. We can play around with the details, but this seems like an idea that could work pretty well.

Yes. This was based on the advanced poll-creating options that phpBB3 presents. You're not limited to just picking one option. So what I'm thinking is you can take whatever number games we have and divide it by 8. Run 8 "heats", and allow each user to pick their 4 favorite games from each "heat". Then take the top 4 from each heat, and whammo - you got your 32 games.

There are a maximum of 30 choices per poll, which means this would require narrowing this list to a slender 240 (at the absolute maximum).

I feel this would allow inclusion of maximum games, while also getting an imperfect, but pretty decent feel for the 32 that belong in the most.
Free shit. More free shit.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:34 pm

The only problem I see with that idea is that with 30 games going against each other and maybe 20 voters, there are going to be a lot of ties.
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Dan wrote:Laird is the only nerd that plays computer games. We argue that computer games suck because you can't play with your friends, and laird argues that it doesn't matter because he doesn't have any friends.

Yeah, no one plays World of Warcraft with friends. :roll:
thelaird

Postby thelaird » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Xero wrote:
Zach wrote:I never played Diablo / Diablo 2 or Starcraft, but even I know it would be dumb to leave them out. Just as I know it would be dumb to leave out Warcraft 2 (or 3). I'd also say Quake was a damn good game for its time and was actually a great game to play with friends.

I agree. My point here though, is that most of the people here don't play them .. so they obviously have no experience with a game. Leaving them the only option to vote against it -- assuming it would be put up against a more familiar [to them] console game. Something like Halo or GTA4 would be voted for over, say, Diablo 2 or Starcraft, which is pretty retarded if you want an accurate representation of 'teh best game evar'.

The tournament scenario worked out for TV shows or sports guys because EVERYBODY was familiar with at least 95% of the shit we were voting for and debating on, while I'm positive that half of the games listed will be unfamiliar to quite a few of you (case in point: PC games).

Pretending that they don't exist isn't any more accurate and since there's no way MGS4 is going to win, the tournament isn't going to be accurate to begin with.
thelaird

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Castle Crashers > MGS4
The Adam wrote:"This segment of the show brought to you by new Kibbles and Belles. Kibbles and Belles, now with 8% more hoof."
Xero

Postby Meng » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 pm

According to Xero's philosophy, MGS4 shouldn't be included because likely no more than 3 people here have played it. It might not win, but I think it deserves to be recognized as a top game like some of the PC games.
Meng

Postby Ren » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Yeah, the whole "this game won't win anyways so it shouldn't be included" is retarded. I'd rather see Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee go out in the first round than WWFEWCWBBQ: RAW COLD BLOODED WRESTLING GAME XTREM advance. Everyone who wants to vote should just submit like their top 10-15 games, and the top 32 games with the most entries should be in the tournament. No console nonsense, just everyone's favorite games.
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Meng wrote:According to Xero's philosophy, MGS4 shouldn't be included because likely no more than 3 people here have played it. It might not win, but I think it deserves to be recognized as a top game like some of the PC games.

I was referring to only PC games, because there's such a large PC game library that any real PC gamer could list off 32 great PC games with ease.

I don't know what you douchefucks play on consoles other than what you talk about here, and that's mostly CoD/Halo.
Xero

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Ren wrote:Yeah, the whole "this game won't win anyways so it shouldn't be included" is retarded. I'd rather see Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee go out in the first round than WWFEWCWBBQ: RAW COLD BLOODED WRESTLING GAME XTREM advance. Everyone who wants to vote should just submit like their top 10-15 games, and the top 32 games with the most entries should be in the tournament. No console nonsense, just everyone's favorite games.

Again, I was referring to only PC games. Please read my shit and don't assume what my "philosophy" is.
Xero

Postby Ryan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 pm

people who play PC games are fags and nerds. and fags.

Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Ryan
The Sweet and Sour Avenger

Postby Ren » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:41 pm

Xero wrote:
Ren wrote:Yeah, the whole "this game won't win anyways so it shouldn't be included" is retarded. I'd rather see Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee go out in the first round than WWFEWCWBBQ: RAW COLD BLOODED WRESTLING GAME XTREM advance. Everyone who wants to vote should just submit like their top 10-15 games, and the top 32 games with the most entries should be in the tournament. No console nonsense, just everyone's favorite games.

Again, I was referring to only PC games. Please read my shit and don't assume what my "philosophy" is.

I'll assume what your philosophy is as much as I feel like son.

:snitsky:
Ren
Dirty Mexican

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 pm

Ryan wrote:people who play PC games are fags and nerds. and fags.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT, MORE LIKE WORLD OF QUEERCRAFT! HEYYY-O!
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Mark O » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:55 pm

thelaird wrote:The only problem I see with that idea is that with 30 games going against each other and maybe 20 voters, there are going to be a lot of ties.

Good point. I think we can tend to something like that with a run-off though.
Free shit. More free shit.
TheLaird wrote:Never had cancer, but I'm pretty sure I could no-hit the Royals if given a chance.
Mark O
Teh phpbb Ubern00b

Postby thelaird » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 am

Evil Gnarls wrote:
thelaird wrote:The only problem I see with that idea is that with 30 games going against each other and maybe 20 voters, there are going to be a lot of ties.

Good point. I think we can tend to something like that with a run-off though.

Yeah, but then you're talking about a shitton of polls and since interest seems to be dying out already...
thelaird

PreviousNext

Return to The l33t of the l33t