Mets Article: Seifrig sick of the friggin Mets

Mets Article: Seifrig sick of the friggin Mets

Postby The Crystal Meth » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:43 pm

Report: Seifrig's angry stay at Cheyenne

July 22, 2006

AP - Jul 22, pm EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- The atmosphere at Cheyenne locker room has been very tensed lately. They are 10 games under .500 at the NL Single A level, the fans of this small Minor league club have been booing Adam Elliot heavily for many blown saves, trade rumours of Jo Jo Reyes has upset Jo Jo and has not been the same pitcher he was last season when he was the 4th round draft choice of the New York Metropolitans.

One person that has been the biggest headache in the locker room and on the field has been without a doubt the 3rd baseman, Cole Seifrig. Seifrig is very upset at the Metropolitans front office, telling the media that the "Mets ruined him". Seifrig was a homer hitting machine at Heritage Hills High School in Indiana, where he was a 2-sport athlete in baseball and football. "My plan was if I didn't get drafted in the amateur draft, I was more than ready to go to Purdue to play football there" said Seifrig, who was a 3 star football prospect out of High School. He was a Runningback and a Safety for Heritage Hills High School, even rushed over 1000 yards with a 4.45 40 yard dash speed. Purdue was going to convert him into a Wide Receiver when he got to college, but that never happened. "At first, we thought we didn't have much chance on recruiting Seifrig. Alabama, Indiana and Vanderbilt was heavily recruiting him, but when Cole told us that he was willing to come to our school if he didn't get drafted, I was excited. He was merely a mediocre baseball prospect and we thought he wasn't going to get drafted. So we had plans ready for Cole, but boy was I wrong." Purdue's coach Joe Tiller recalled through the phone interview.

Image There were two teams that was scouting Seifrig a lot, both were NL East teams. The Florida Marlins, a team known for high power-low average players (Dunn, Borchard, Stratton to name a few) liked Seifrig's power bat but wasn't too sure they liked his defense at 3rd. Mets also was interested in Seifrig and they thought of him as a Mini-Dave Kingman at 3rd. "We liked Cole, he wasn't a top prospect coming into the draft but He had a nice pop in his bat, and at 6'3 190 pounds at 18 years of age, we thought he was going to bulk up as he gets older, which would mean more power. We drafted him by potential, because his ability was raw as hell" said the main scout of the Mets when they drafted him. Cole who's first interest was baseball, has heavily told his High School coaches that he was going to Pro Ball if he did get drafted. "I figured, I go to the Minor league and spend few years there". He was about to get the surprise of his life.

Seifrig was last season's 8th round draft choice, the last selection of the 2003 Amateur draft for the Metropolitans. When the Mets made their selections, they were many games under .500 and dead last not only in the NL East, but the whole National league. Seifrig was ready to go to St. Lucie in Florida (Back then, they were the St Lucie Mets, now the Cheyenne Rapists) but Seifrig got a surprising call from the General Manage Steve Phillips. "Pack your bags and don't you think about the weather in Florida, you should be more worried about the weather in New York. We're expecting you here in Flushing by tomorrow". Seifrig was stunned, and nervous, he recalls. "I was scared, and I was thinking is this some sort of a prank? I'm not ready, why do they want me in the Majors already?" the 8th rounder remember saying.

It wasn't no prank. With many games under .500, the Mets decided to throw in the flag. They had many more high caliber prospects back then in Heilman, Journell, Reyes, Rivera, Linden, Betemit, Kazmir, Redman, etc. but they wanted promoted Seifrig, this unknown boy from Indiana. Seifrig's contact hitting was not even that impressive in High School, and his defense both range and fielding was poor at 3rd. Art Howe reluctantly slotted Seifrig at 3rd base everyday. "The upper management is telling me to put Seifrig as the starting 3rd baseman, what do you want me to do? I didn't want to play the boy but i was force to" Howe said who is now a college coach. Seifrig struggled mightily with the Parent Club Mets, hitting .141, on base percentage of horrendous .193, with 3 homers, 19 RBIs in 306 At-Bats. Not to mention the 20 errors at 3rd base with a fielding percentage of .932. "I was frustrated. I was struggling so badly, the fans were booing me. I was like 'why the fuck did they bring me up when they clearly knew I wasn't ready'". We asked Steve Phillips why he brought up Cole to the Majors without any taste of Minor League ball and he refused to answer.

His stay at Flushing has earned him the nickname ".141" among his Single A teammates at Cheyenne for hitting .141 in the Majors. Seifrig 3-4 times this season has attacked the Mets front office. The front office did nothing, even the new GM Omar Minaya laughed him off. The current manager of the parent club Mets Keith Hernandez did feel bad for Seifrig. "He was thrown into a situation where it was impossible for him to succeed. New York is not an easy place to play with the media, and the fans. No 8th round draft choice is ever ready to play in Majors for any club right away. I really feel bad for him because I'm sure his confidence was shattered the way the media was attacking him and the fans booing him." said Keith Hernandez who was part of the 1986 championship Mets.
Seifrig is now at Single A Cheyenne Rapists, playing as the everyday 3rd baseman and the cleanup hitter for the Rapists. Seifrig's average is still struggling at the lowest level of baseball with .196 average, .255 OBP, but atleast shown some power with 10 homers, with 26 RBIS in 301 at-bats.

His once touted power potential has decreased, and is considered the worst prospect in the Mets farm system. Seifrig's career looks like he's almost done, and he's only 19 years of age.
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Postby David » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

damn, i miss the days of old where we had many articles to read about
David

Postby I'm Awesome! » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 pm

OMG thats hilarious

so power hitter huh? wow i can certainly see that in him
I'm Awesome!

Postby The Crystal Meth » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:25 pm

best article ever being bumped for the hell of it.
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Re: Mets Article: Seifrig sick of the friggin Mets

Postby The Crystal Meth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm

bump
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Postby I'm Awesome! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:46 pm

I wonder if he's flipping burgers yet?
"WTF is juice?!? I want some grape drank."
- Dave Chappelle

Braves GM: 2003-2015
Win/Loss Record: 1061-1045
1 NL East Division Title(2013)

Yankees GM: 2016-?
Win/Loss Record: 470-341
2 AL Wildcard(2016, 2018), 1 AL East Division Title(2017)
I'm Awesome!

Postby The Crystal Meth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:56 am

no he still has a major league career. He's on the Baltimore O roster. 34 years old, 16 years professional ball. You have to say he's had a pretty solid career.
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Postby I'm Awesome! » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:06 pm

The Crystal Meth wrote:no he still has a major league career. He's on the Baltimore O roster. 34 years old, 16 years professional ball. You have to say he's had a pretty solid career.

It's a pretty amazing career considering his awesome .199 career avg and still get 12 yrs of majors under his belt with that.
- Dave Chappelle

I'm Awesome!

Postby The Crystal Meth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm Awesome! wrote:
The Crystal Meth wrote:no he still has a major league career. He's on the Baltimore O roster. 34 years old, 16 years professional ball. You have to say he's had a pretty solid career.

It's a pretty amazing career considering his awesome .199 career avg and still get 12 yrs of majors under his belt with that.

First off, that .199 career average is pretty decent for a player like him. He was an 8th round pick. Only 3 other players from those 2003 Mets draft picks are in the Majors. The Mets first round pick isn't even in the league anymore. Seifrig along with Chad Cordero (a 2nd round pick with not much of a career), Camilio Ramirez (definitely not much of a major league career) and Jose Ronda are still in the bigs. He was drafted as a 3B and knew that in order to remain in Pro Ball, he had to learn a new position and be very good at it. He has done that. He has improved his game immensely as a catcher and is a very reliable battery mate for the Pitchers. He was also a successful player-manager for the Chicago White Sox for many years, leading them to division titles. His baseball intelligence can't be matched.

http://www.thesportsfix.com/~nsbl/p2878.html
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Postby I'm Awesome! » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:09 am

The Crystal Meth wrote:
I'm Awesome! wrote:

First off, that .199 career average is pretty decent for a player like him. He was an 8th round pick. Only 3 other players from those 2003 Mets draft picks are in the Majors. The Mets first round pick isn't even in the league anymore. Seifrig along with Chad Cordero (a 2nd round pick with not much of a career), Camilio Ramirez (definitely not much of a major league career) and Jose Ronda are still in the bigs. He was drafted as a 3B and knew that in order to remain in Pro Ball, he had to learn a new position and be very good at it. He has done that. He has improved his game immensely as a catcher and is a very reliable battery mate for the Pitchers. He was also a successful player-manager for the Chicago White Sox for many years, leading them to division titles. His baseball intelligence can't be matched.

http://www.thesportsfix.com/~nsbl/p2878.html

Something seems missing...oh thats right!

:facts:
- Dave Chappelle

I'm Awesome!

Postby The Crystal Meth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:01 pm

good to see that Seifrig's career average is .201. Makes me proud.

He might have retired, but he remains a legend.
Hooch is Seriously Crazy
The Crystal Meth
Black Chad

Return to Articles