BCG fired

Due to circumstances beyond his control, this forum is also known as The Snitsky Forum. Discuss sports not covered in other forums such as wrestling, curling, hockey, basketball and more wrestling.

Re: BCG fired

Postby AlexR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 am

Dan wrote:How does making 1 Sweet 16 in the past 3 years make you a top 15 team?

"A team that has been in the top 15..."

Butler at one time was ranked inside the top 15 each of the last three years. The two years previous Butler was ranked in the top 10.

Butler wasn't a top 15 team this season, though they were close. They were probably top 25, definitely top 30. Not bad for a team without a senior that started three freshman.

In '06-'07 and '07-'08 they were one of the best 15 teams in the nation. Just because Butler bowed out to a tough Tennessee team in OT in the second round last season doesn't change that fact.

Rivals has Butler ranked 11th to start the season next year. That maybe slightly generous. I'd put them more in the 15-20 range.
The only thing I have to do is stay black and die.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:05 pm

The fact that you seem to attribute being in the top 15 once in the year to success proves my point that butler is not relevant.
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby AlexR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Dan wrote:The fact that you seem to attribute being in the top 15 once in the year to success proves my point that butler is not relevant.

In 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 they were in the top 15 for the majority of the year. Last season they had a short stay, though they were still in the top 25 for most of the year.

If that isn't being relevant then I don't know what is.

Nice try. I know Kentucky sucks but it doesn't make them better to try to disparage more successful programs.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby thelaird » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:03 pm

thelaird

Postby Dan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 am

AlexR wrote:
Dan wrote:The fact that you seem to attribute being in the top 15 once in the year to success proves my point that butler is not relevant.

In 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 they were in the top 15 for the majority of the year. Last season they had a short stay, though they were still in the top 25 for most of the year.

If that isn't being relevant then I don't know what is.

Nice try. I know Kentucky sucks but it doesn't make them better to try to disparage more successful programs.

Do you understand what relevant means? They can be in the top 15 all they want but until they advance past the sweet 16 or start putting up some back to back quality seasons they will just be another mid major team. It took awhile(it seems like they were the mid major Cinderella team for 5 years in a row) for Gonzaga to finally shred that tag, and if Butler wants to they need to start getting results.

in the team's 111 year history, Butler has advanced to the NCAA tournament 9 times.

Should I talk about how we recently had a streak longer than your entire history, how we only have 2 championships less than your entire entrances?

Kentucky was bad last year, I will be the first to tell you, but there is no way you can say that Butler, or anybody other than UCLA or UNC is a more successful program.
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Ryan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:25 pm

christian laettner would dispute that.

got em!

Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Ryan
The Sweet and Sour Avenger

Postby AlexR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Dan wrote:Do you understand what relevant means? They can be in the top 15 all they want but until they advance past the sweet 16 or start putting up some back to back quality seasons they will just be another mid major team. It took awhile(it seems like they were the mid major Cinderella team for 5 years in a row) for Gonzaga to finally shred that tag, and if Butler wants to they need to start getting results.

By your own definition Butler is relevant. Is two years of being a top ten team not putting up back-to-back quality seasons? In 2006-2007 Butler got to the sweet 16 and took the defending and eventually national champions to the wire leading with under four minutes left. The next season they once again spent all but a week or two in the top 15. On selection sunday with only three losses Butler got a 7 seed and had to play a team in Tennessee who had been ranked #1 and had a legit arguement for a #1 seed.

Then, this year was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Butler was picked to finish 5th in the Horizon League, but managed to be ranked all year and make the tournament with the 3rd youngest team in college basketball.

And Kentucky (again, by your definition) hasn't been relevant since 2005. Ouch!

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 am

so, the moral of this story is Calipari is the best coach in basketball, and Butler is finally relevant.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby andrew » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:37 am

Dan wrote:so, the moral of this story is Calipari is the best coach in basketball, and Butler is finally relevant.

Disagree with the 1st statement. It will be tough for Butler to hang around without Howard and Mack, though.
andrew

Postby AlexR » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 pm

People said the same thing last year when Hayward went to the NBA.

Butler has more talent than ever. It might be rough at times next season but watch out in the years to come. Chrishawn Hopkins and Khyle Marshall, remember those two names.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 am

andrew wrote:It's funny you think one of those coaches will come to UK. Travis Ford will be your next coach

This post makes me LOL
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby andrew » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Dan wrote:
andrew wrote:It's funny you think one of those coaches will come to UK. Travis Ford will be your next coach

This post makes me LOL

Thinking you would get Billy Donovan or Jay wright still makes me laugh.
andrew

Previous

Return to Other Sports