BCG fired

Due to circumstances beyond his control, this forum is also known as The Snitsky Forum. Discuss sports not covered in other forums such as wrestling, curling, hockey, basketball and more wrestling.

Re: BCG fired

Postby AlexR » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Sean Miller is an ass clown. He wouldn't last at Kentucky.

1. Izzo
2. Matta
3. Calipari

Matta maybe the best recruiter of the bunch. He has amassed as much talent as anyone at Ohio State. The problem is he can't keep them on campus. OSU could've had a lineup like this last season:

Oden
Koufos
Turner
Cook
Conley

Lighty
Mullens
Diebler
Buford

And not one of them would be seniors.
The only thing I have to do is stay black and die.

AlexR
Zamfir of the Skin Flute

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:26 pm

thelaird wrote:You do realize that there are two sides to this decision, right? I don't see why you take it as a given that Calipari would jump at the chance to leave a top ranked team to coach some NIT scrubs.

Are you deaf, blind, or just dumb? Reports have been coming out all day that he is interested, and now i am hearing that the only thing keeping it from being official is that Calipari wants former assistant Tony Barbee to be the new coach. I am also hearing they are talking to Missouri coach Mike Anderson.

NIT scrubs? Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, Daniel Orton, Jon Hood, Matthew Pilgrim and Darius Miller are not NIT scrubs. It's tough to make the NCAA tournament when your coach is telling your best player not to shoot.

To Zach, who doesn't think UK is a top 5 job. What are your 5, then? What 5 jobs would dominate sports radio talk, would dominate internet sports blog talk, would dominate major sporting news sites(I challenge you to find me a single top sports site who doesn't have an article up on the top news about this, most of them having it the top 1 or 2 stories).
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby thelaird » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Dan wrote:NIT scrubs? Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, Daniel Orton, Jon Hood, Matthew Pilgrim and Darius Miller are not NIT scrubs. It's tough to make the NCAA tournament when your coach is telling your best player not to shoot.

Yeah, winning the SEC is hard.
thelaird

Postby Zach » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Dan wrote:
thelaird wrote:You do realize that there are two sides to this decision, right? I don't see why you take it as a given that Calipari would jump at the chance to leave a top ranked team to coach some NIT scrubs.

Are you deaf, blind, or just dumb? Reports have been coming out all day that he is interested, and now i am hearing that the only thing keeping it from being official is that Calipari wants former assistant Tony Barbee to be the new coach. I am also hearing they are talking to Missouri coach Mike Anderson.

NIT scrubs? Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, Daniel Orton, Jon Hood, Matthew Pilgrim and Darius Miller are not NIT scrubs. It's tough to make the NCAA tournament when your coach is telling your best player not to shoot.

To Zach, who doesn't think UK is a top 5 job. What are your 5, then? What 5 jobs would dominate sports radio talk, would dominate internet sports blog talk, would dominate major sporting news sites(I challenge you to find me a single top sports site who doesn't have an article up on the top news about this, most of them having it the top 1 or 2 stories).

Notre Dame's football program gets this same kind of attention from the media (especially when looking for a new coach). Would you still consider them a top 5 program? As for 5 programs that are better. I'd start off with NC, Duke, Kansas, and UCONN. Those are just 4 that I thought of off the top of my head. After those 4 there are a number of "2nd tier" schools that I would rank equal or above Kentucky. What you don't seem to realize is that most high school athletes don't care about a schools reputation. For the most part top tier prospects only care about the schools that have been great lately. The few exceptions to that usually have to do with kids that grow up in the same state with a program. Easy examples of this in college basketball are Louisville and Memphis. Ten years ago no top tier prospect would have thought about going to those schools.

An example in college football is Alabama. They have long been considered one of the best programs in the nation yet for so many years they were horrible. They still aren't nearly as good as their record was last year and the only reason they were that good is because of the coach. The recruits didn't flock there because they are Alabama. The recruits went there because Nick Saban was the coach.

Edit: Michigan State is a better program right now and has been since Petino left. Also, I'd have ranked Arizona above Kentucky if Lute Olson was still the coach. Over the last 15 years or so he would continually recruit pretty much whoever he wanted from the west coast.
Some people are like slinkies. They may not be good for much, but you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Zach

Postby jeff » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Syracuse never gets any love. No way would I put Arizona above Kentucky regardless of the coach and then leave off the Orange.
jeff

Postby andrew » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 pm

UCLA since Howland took over
andrew

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am

just heard it's official, 4-6 mil per year
andrew

Postby thelaird » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 am

With a TOP 5 JOB like Kentucky, I'm surprised they even have to pay him at all.
thelaird

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 am

IMO there are 6 top jobs in college hoops, these are the programs with the most passionate fans, the best facilities, the best history(and YES, history is important to high school basketball players).

In no particular order:
UNC
Duke
Kentucky
UCLA
Indiana

EDIT: Oops, I forgot Kansas
With a close second tier being:
UCONN(I don't consider UCOnn a top job)
Arizona
Syracuse

Some other team I am sure I am forgetting.

Here is the big deal. Memphis MATCHED our offer. Now, why would John Calipari leave a top ranked team(recruiting class) that was going to pay him the same amount of money, to go coach some NIT scrubs?

Because regardless of how good Memphis is, they are just not nearly as important locally or nationally. Memphis fights with a bad NBA team for publicity. UK is IT in the state of Kentucky. UK Basketball and horse racing, that is all that matters to a whooole lot of people within the state. Within the population of Lexington, I would say there are around 2% Louisville fans here, while in Louisville, there are around 50% UK fans. That's ridiculous.

As I was telling Andrew earlier, the head coach of the University of Kentucky is the most important person in the state. Unless you live in the state or have been in it for extended periods of time(Ren would know), you cannot even fathom what UK basketball means to people. We had 2500 people staring at the back door to the University of Memphis athletic office yesterday, becuase Coach Calipari's car was parked outside of it. I am okay with us being called crazy, batshit insane, what have you, but i take offense to ignorant or fucking retarded.

Yeah, we have more ignorant fans than everyone else, yeah we have more racist fans than everyone else, yeah sure we have more fucking retarded fans than everyone else, but why is that?

We have more fans than everyone else(and believe it or not, a good portion of them are very intelligent). No one else in college basketball comes close. Which is ridiculous because you guys are right, we have not performed like a top 5(or even top 25 in some cases) program lately(I still believe we are because of the facilities, fans, history).

Just wait until we get back to the top and win another championship...our whole state will shut down for a week, and everything i have been saying here will be verified.
"They had it before you, they had it during you, and they'll have it when your gone.", Coach Al Mcguire discussing Kentucky Basketball tradition.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Dan
Snape and Harry die

Postby Ryan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:50 pm

im not too sure how the whole recruiting thing works, but ive been hearing hes gunna take his memphis recruits (with 3 being in the top 10) with him to kentucky. is that even possible? do they have to transfer and sit out a year or are they not yet 100% committed so they can still change their minds?

Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Ryan
The Sweet and Sour Avenger

Postby jeff » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 pm

If they haven't signed a LOI, they are fine.
jeff

Postby Ryan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:23 pm

and now what happens to gillespie's recruits? same thing?

Don Von Titlehoot wrote:The first time I ever played the skin flute was to Lisa's bikini picture.
Ryan
The Sweet and Sour Avenger

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:31 pm

Ryan wrote:im not too sure how the whole recruiting thing works, but ive been hearing hes gunna take his memphis recruits (with 3 being in the top 10) with him to kentucky. is that even possible? do they have to transfer and sit out a year or are they not yet 100% committed so they can still change their minds?

1 signed his LOI, but also signed something saying if Calipari left he could too. Another is only verbally committed and the last isn't committed at all.
andrew

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am

andrew wrote:
Ryan wrote:im not too sure how the whole recruiting thing works, but ive been hearing hes gunna take his memphis recruits (with 3 being in the top 10) with him to kentucky. is that even possible? do they have to transfer and sit out a year or are they not yet 100% committed so they can still change their minds?

1 signed his LOI, but also signed something saying if Calipari left he could too. Another is only verbally committed and the last isn't committed at all.

Here's the deal, two of his players WItherspoon and Sallie(the guy that scored 33 in the first round) both want to transfer, I am hearing that is HIGHLY unlikely, but if they do they will both sit out a year. As far as the players, Xavier Henry, Demarcus Cousins are the two most likely to come, Henry signed his LOI but he states that he had a clause in there that if Calipari leaves he could back out on it, I would bet that we will get Cousins and Wall. I don't know why Wall wouldn't want to play all of his games on ESPN in the dribble drive offense.

As far as the KY recruits, I am hearing all of our ones for this year will stay, I would assume they could get out of their LOI's, but they are staying.
Dan
Snape and Harry die

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports